• November 12There is an All State music festival this Thursday Friday and Saturday!

• November 12There is an FFA meeting tomorrow at 6:30 in Mr. Miller's room.

Filed under Showcase, Sports

Baseball and Softball Show Summer Success

A recap of the 2018 softball and baseball seasons.

TROJANS ON THREE - The softball players group together at the end of a game to talk before a breakdown. The girls were conference champs and qualified for State.

For some students, summer is a time to relax and take a break from school and other responsibilities. For others, it’s a chance to compete and show off their skills. Softball and baseball are a big part of many athletes’ lives at AHS, keeping their summer schedules busy.

This past summer, each team had winning records with softball finishing 30-7 and baseball 15-13. According to head baseball coach Gaylord Schelling, the boys also had the best team batting average in 10 years at 0.318. Senior Nathan Behrends said, “It was a good season, we had a strong record but we didn’t finish the way we would’ve liked at the end of the year.” Schelling said the goal was to place top four in the conference but they ended up fifth.

The team also had multiple players earn all-conference and all-district spots, including Chase McLaren (First-Team All-Conference, All-District and All SWI in the World-Herald), Chase Mullenix (Second-Team All-Conference) and Noah Bruckner (Second-Team All-Conference and Second-Team All-District). Seven seniors graduated from the team, who Schelling said will be “missed greatly.” He hopes to have another winning record next year, as he was happy with the results the season brought.

LISTEN UP – Trojan players take advice from head coach Gaylord Schelling during a game. The boys graduated seven seniors from the 2018 team.

Graduate Cooper McDermott also signed to continue his baseball career at Dakota State University.

The softball girls also had a successful season, becoming the 2018 Hawkeye-10 conference champs and qualifying for state again. Head coach Terry Hinzmann said the team “overachieved a little bit” with the players that they had, considering many had to be put into different and new positions this season. Senior Karsyn Rush said each player got along well, which is essential to the workings of a team. Overall she thought they had a good season but that there is “always room for improvement.”

According to Hinzmann, the goals of the softball team have remained the same for the last few years: win the conference and make it to State, both of which were achieved. The Trojans became the first team since 1999 to win the conference and qualified for State for the second time since 2016, defeating Osceola-Clark in the regional final. “We had good leadership with the seniors that we had on our team,” Hinzmann said.

We had good leadership with the seniors that we had on our team.”

— Terry Hinzmann

2018 graduates Alexis Handel and Ally Anderson each earned 3A 1st Team All-State, 3A West District and Hawkeye-10 First Team All-Conference spots. Handel also had the best batting average for the team at 0.500 and Anderson signed to play softball at DMACC. Sophomore Alyssa Derby earned 3A West District and Hawkeye-10 First Team All-Conference and Baylee Newell also earned Hawkeye-10 First Team All-Conference. Juniors McKenzie Waters and Reagan Pellett were named Second Team All-Conference and honorable mentions went to Rush and freshman Olivia Engler.

For the next season, Hinzmann still holds the team to those goals but said they would have to do it “a little differently” because they are going to have to replace some “very good players.” His goal is to get the new players on the team to that ability level as quickly as possible.

About the Writers
Ashley Wendt, Lead Editor

Journalism is a family affair for the Wendts, as Ashley Wendt’s siblings got her involved in Journalism. Her brother Trevor was the first to join and he was the producer of Eye of the Needle during the 2017-18 school year. Wendt’s twin sister Erin was the next to join during her sophomore year. Wendt is one of the lead editors of AHSneedle, so her job is to assign stories to the reporters and edit the stories they write. Her favorite part of journalism is “seeing the finished products” and what others can do. Her most memorable moment in journalism is when she went to a summer camp at Drake University, where she attended a web design class that she thought was “super helpful.” In her free time, Wendt enjoys going on walks with her family and riding her horses. She is also out for cross country, starting her running career in seventh grade. She said she joined because her mom ran and she “wanted to be just like her.”

Story by Madison Botos and Braden Smith

Erin Wendt, Business Manager/Editor

Junior Erin Wendt is one of the two business managers for the AHS journalism department. She also occasionally writes stories for AHSneedle, and her favorite stories are the “Getting to Know the Class of 2017” articles. Wendt said she loves the “independence” of journalism and being able to choose what you do, like broadcasting or yearbook, as well as what she wants to write about. Her favorite memory in journalism so far has been participating in the Media Now camp at Drake University this past summer, where she learned a lot about writing stories as well as meeting many new people.

Wendt has been involved in cross country and soccer so far in high school and has joined FFA this year. Wendt enjoys the “atmosphere during cross country” and how everyone can relate to each other, because no matter if you’re JV or varsity, “everyone is giving their best effort.” Wendt’s favorite thing about soccer is the overall attitude of the team. She said, “Even though we don’t have winning seasons, we still make the most out of it and have fun.” She is also is looking forward to making some memorable moments in her first year of FFA.

Wendt says her twin sister Ashley knows her best, and she enjoys “chilling on the couch” on her phone, or riding horses with her mom and sister. If her friends had to describe her, they would probably say that she’s good at making cookies and the “mom’ of the group. They might also say she’s quiet because she said she doesn’t “talk a lot when we’re hanging out in groups.”

Wendt would describe herself as quiet and nice, but her sister might disagree with that at times. She also says that she goes to her room for a calming place because “I can be alone.” Something that she would never change about herself is her personality.

Profile written by: Ashley Wendt