• November 12There is an All State music festival this Thursday Friday and Saturday!

• November 12There is an FFA meeting tomorrow at 6:30 in Mr. Miller's room.

AHS Welcomes New Teachers

Meet the recently added faculty.

P.E teacher Cole Renken

P.E teacher Cole Renken

P.E teacher Cole Renken

As the 2018- 2019 school year commences, students are becoming familiar with the three newest teachers hired at AHS: Valerie Jaehrling, Randall Simpson and Cole Renken. Each of the teachers has at least three years prior teaching experience at other schools and plan to continue their career in Atlantic while evolving and inspiring the students here.

Science teacher Valerie Jaehrling

Jaehrling is taking over the chemistry department this year, teaching chemistry, AP chemistry, and physics. The Iowa native is originally from Riverside but has since moved to Oakland. Jaehrling has a very prominent passion for science, but she has many other hobbies as well, including reading, baking, gardening and playing the ukulele. She was also part of the speech team at her high school, making All-State Speech for a piece of hers, which happens to be one of her most memorable moments. Jaehrling hopes this year will invoke in all students a love for science and a remembrance to “always wear your safety goggles.”

English teacher Randall Simpson

The English department recently added a new staff member as well with Simpson taking the place of previous English teacher Rachelle Lipp. Simpson has always been a lover of reading and writing, taking part in different activities involving the arts during high school. One of these included being a part of his high school’s poetry club. Perhaps it was Simpson’s numerous activities and hobbies that have left him an advocate for reading in general and he said, “My goals for the year are to get to know my students and build relationships [and to] grow in my students a love for the written word.”

Renken is replacing Tucker Weber’s position as the health teacher as well as Ryan Henderson’s Physical Education instructor position. In correlation to his position as the PE teacher, Renken said he tries his best to be involved. He is part of a tennis team in Red Oak, and he also plays racquetball while having many other sport-related interests. His expectations for the year include getting people to be more physically active. “I focus on personal progress, so I tell people to not worry about being the best. Just try your hardest.” He enjoys introducing new things to students and watching them enjoy it or judge it. In health, he said he expects people to remember the main points of his discussions. “They aren’t going to remember everything.” Renken advises students to not forget their gym clothes and turn in homework as it is “free, easy points.”

So remember, don’t be afraid to ask questions and try your best to be on these teachers’ good sides!

About the Writers
Alyssa Brockob, Editor

Alyssa Brockob is an active member in the journalism department for AHS, acting as an author and editor for the AHSneedle website. In the near future, she will also be co-editor for the Senior Spotlight Magazine. Outside of journalism, Brockob is in multiple activities such as Speech and Debate, Girl Scouts, 4-H, Band, Writers Club and a former member of Choir. Two of her favorite memories were writing her very first story about Kalob Flory, a past senior, and “taking pictures of other students was really cool,” Brockob said. Journalism has also strengthened her communications skills and she said, “it has developed communication skills for me and let me talk to new people.” Brockob’s aspirations are to further herself as a journalist. She wants to be a “better and more organized writer with more stories out there.”

Story by Troy Roach and Shayla Luke

Anastasia Muell, Editor

With the aspiration of reaching her audience and providing them with accurate and engaging information, Anastasia Muell acts as an editor of AHSneedle, the official news website of Atlantic High School.

Muell is currently tasked with writing news briefs as well as writing other stories to provide information to students. Alongside the inclusion of these works, her published pieces feature a variety of individual topics, both challenging and exciting for Muell. Her most demanding story was written near the beginning of the school year, presenting important details about a technological issue within the online textbooks. She was charged with the expectation of interviewing students, though not many knew about the issue. Despite this difficulty, Muell has encountered a lot of great experiences in journalism, with her favorite being the painting of her ceiling tile, something advisor Allison Berryhill does with all editors. Muell said that seeing everyone “create something was fun,” allowing her classmates to have an individualistic approach upon their environment.

Outside of journalism, Muell can be found hard at work with band and choir, alongside being a member of the soccer team. Busy yet enthusiastic, she said her goals this year are to improve on her writing abilities while also getting ideas out to a wide audience. With this in mind, the start of the new year is sure to bring compelling stories her way.

Story by Shayla Luke