Getting to Know the Class of 2018: Rebecca Garcia

Senior Spotlight featuring Rebecca Garcia

Alex Harper

Rebecca Garcia comes from a close-knit family of her parents and her two siblings: a brother and a sister. She enjoys academics and keeping up on her grades, and said a moment in high school that impacted her was when she was doing “really bad in grades” and her parents encouraged her to fix the situation. She then improved and “progressed throughout the school year.” A positive influence from AHS for Garcia is Mr. Hinzmann. She said, “He’s always been after me. He’s always checking up on me.”

In high school, Garcia said some of her favorite memories were made during “pep band and competitions I’ve been in.” During her freshman year, Garcia participated in band and choir, and her sophomore year she competed with the mathletes.

Considering how hard Garcia works on what she loves, she needs time to unwind. Her favorite activity in order to do so is fishing at Lake Anita because “it’s relaxing.” In her free time, she also likes to “read or play games.”

Garcia’s plans after high school include attending college at Iowa Western Community College, then transferring to another school to complete her education. Garcia would like to become a physician after college; a very different path from her childhood dream job of a mortician.