Angry Birds, Angry Teachers? iPod games in the classroom – OPINION

Sophomores Jared Fulk and Jordan Mauk play angry birds during study hall.

By Devin O’Neill

It’s a game that’s sweeping across our school like the bird flu, literally. Everybody who’s anybody knows about the ever-so-popular game on the iPod touch: Angry Birds. It’s a game where you get different types of birds and slingshot them at structures to try to knock the structures down and try to destroy the pigs that stole your eggs.  Anybody that has ever played it will tell you its highly addictive.

So can a game this fun cause a problem in classrooms?  Since the iPod touch is a mobile device, kids can play it in class without the teacher even knowing .  Mostly study halls and computer classrooms are affected because the teachers are rarely around or don’t pay attention. These addicting games can keep students from completing their assignments.

But who is responsible for this? The teachers, the students? In my opinion it’s a little bit of both. If teachers don’t want the students playing games on their iPod’s, then they should make their class more interesting or put stricter rules on the use of iPod’s. The students responsibility is to do their work instead of playing games when the teacher isn’t around.

Junior Austin Farver says; “I think [Angry Birds] is good. It completes my day.”

In one of my classes last semester, I used to be addicted to Angry Birds too. However, reality hit me and my chances for graduating on time were getting slimmer each day. I took on the challenge to do my work during class instead of playing games.  Since then I have rarely played games in class, even though I still do it every so often. Something good did come out of this: I’m still on track to graduation.