Students Question the Friendliness of AHS

Is AHS a friendly place?

BE A FRIEND- Noah Rutherford hugs a fellow student in the hall. Students question whether or not AHS is a friendly place.

Is AHS a friendly place? We had numerous amounts of feedback, but very little amount of different answers. 

A couple interviews took place with two current foreign exchange students, who are new to AHS. Akhut Suleimenov from Kazakhstan’s feedback was positive, and he did think that AHS was a friendly place. He said, “Everyone stereotypes that Americans are mean, but I don’t find that true.” He also said the American kids are “friendly and kind.” Atlantic High School is just as friendly of a place as his school is back home. He said the only difference between the schools is what we wear.

Everyone stereotypes that Americans are mean, but I don’t find that true.

— Ahkat Suleimenov

The second foreign exchange student interviewed was Yara Haida from Lebanon. She felt that AHS was somewhat friendly but not completely. “Some people are kind of mean and others are friendly and actually talk to you.” She also felt the friendliest students were the ones that would actually come up to you and start a conversation. She said that the students at her school in Lebanon were far more friendlier than the students at AHS.

The freshman class was also asked how they felt about AHS and how friendly the seniors are. There were a variety of different answers, but the largest amount of responses were positive. Most of our responses consisted of freshman saying that upperclassman are nice, but we also got a few that said otherwise. One of AHS’s freshmen said, “I don’t think that upperclassman are friendly. Most of the boys are mean, but the girls are actually nice.” There was feedback from one teacher, who said, “I think it depends on what group you fall into. If you’re a jock and athlete, then yes, but if you’re not then it’s harder.”