Meet Mr. Henderson

Perry’s loss is Atlantic’s gain.

Chloe Newbury

New weights teacher, Ryan Henderson, was drawn to AHS because of the bigger school community in a town, that just like Goldilocks, “it isn’t too big, or too little, it’s just right,” or maybe “it’s the shorts,” joked Henderson.

Henderson attended Iowa Lakes Community College for two years before transferring to the University of Northern Iowa for three more years. While at UNI, Henderson worked towards receiving a bachelor’s degree in education to become a teacher.

When Henderson was in his pre-college schooling, math and P.E. were his favorite subjects. He decided on becoming a weights/P.E. instructor because he enjoys all type of sports and working out, and strives to teach about that aspect of a healthy lifestyle. Before coming to AHS, he taught pre-k through eighth grade P.E. at St. Patrick’s Catholic School in Perry, Iowa.

Henderson brought a new style of keeping track of workouts to AHS, an app called TeamBuildr. He thinks it’s “going well and is something different than what most students are used to.” Henderson also said, “It brings in the students’ technology and incorporates what they like, rather than just using paper and pencil.” The app helps students stay on track with their workouts “as long as they’re following what they’re supposed to be doing,” according to Henderson.

Weights/P.E. teacher Ryan Henderson required students to participate in the mile this school year.