Everybody love candy…in their shoes?

By Zoe Krueger

December 6 is the Dutch holiday St. Nicholas Day, or “the Dutch Christmas.” Around the world, St. Nicholas is the main gift giver. It is said that St. Nicholas travels the countryside, visiting  homes to see if children have been good that year.  Children put their shoes out overnight on the eve of the holiday, and St. Nicholas leaves them treats or small gifts. Every year at Atlantic High School, we celebrate this holiday with our own tradition during Primetime.

Student Council members assemble, gather their candy, and prepare to distribute it throughout the school. The rest of the students go to their Primetimes, during which they each leave a single shoe in the hallway. St. Nicholas’s little helpers, Student Council, then go about and leave a couple of candies in each shoe. When students return for their shoe, they are joyful to find the treats.

Most students, like freshman Sam Renaud, aren’t aware that this tradition is based on the Dutch holiday, but enjoy it regardless. “I enjoy candy,” Renaud said.

Freshman Jordan Nielsen also appreciated the candy aspect, “I liked it because I like cherry Laffy Taffy.”

Senior Tyler Johnson said, “I thought it was a good idea because I was hungry… And I suppose it’s St. Nicholas Day so it was acceptable.”

View Comments (2)