Special Olympics touches many in South Central Iowa

The Atlantic Super Bowl hosted the Special Olympics bowling tournament Friday, Oct. 1 and Saturday, Oct. 2.  Over 200 people, ages eight and up, from around South Central Iowa came to Atlantic, Iowa, to participate in the tournament.

Planning for the fall event began in August with the Special Olympics management team including Joan Lienenann from Creston, Iowa. She is one of the many people who help find the hosts and the 40-50 volunteers, making sure everything falls in place.

Linenann says she feels that all the hard work is worth it “because of the fact [the athletes] know what they have accomplished and seeing them succeed.”

For the past few years, Dan Duskin, owner of the Super Bowl, has been trying to get the Bowling Tournament hosted in Atlantic.  In fact, he has about three groups of Special Olympics athletes come in once a week to bowl on a regular basis. Not only was he glad seeing the athletes participate and have fun, he also enjoys how they get to interact with people from all over South Central Iowa. He felt very excited to sponsor and hopes they will come back next year.

The Special Olympics has affected many people’s live, not just the athletes but the people around them as well.

For the past six years, Daniel Milligan has participated in the Special Olympics, and it has changed his life dramatically. It has helped with his confidence and athleticism over the years. This year he got second place in his age group.

Becky Sales, the mother of eight-year old Vanessa Sales, from Afton, Iowa, says “It has made [Vanessa] more active in the community, helping her be involved and makes her feel like she is good at something.” This was Vanessa’s first year participating in the Special Olympics and Vanessa’s Coach, Tiffany Gale, stated that it has made Vanessa feel more special as part of a team and that is what she has wanted.

Lexi Eownen, an eight-year-old competitor from Chariton, Iowa, says that she was “super excited” to have her first year of Special Olympics be such a success. She got third place in her age group and was very happy to be a part of the game.

The Special Olympics improves the confidence of many people and lifts the spirits of not just the athletes but of the volunteers, parents, coaches, and friends who make this wonderful day possible.

NOT AGAIN! An eight-year old athlete stresses over another gutter ball with Trevor Knuth and Maren McNees standing guard.

View Comments (1)