Ins and Outs of Bomb Threats

Understanding bomb threats made against schools

Halsey Bailey and Erin Wendt

Schools in the United States receive bomb threats every year. According to eschoolsafety.org, the state with the highest number of bomb threats was Massachusettes, receiving a total of 135 bomb threats in the 2015-16 school year. The second highest reported number of threats was 96 in Ohio. States that received the lowest amounts were Nevada and Wyoming, both with 1 threat. Iowa received 12 threats that year.

The Atlantic School District has received bomb threats in both the middle school and high school from years past. Atlantic hasn’t received a bomb threat for a few years and sophomore Alana Welter would prefer to keep it that way. “We should take bomb threats very seriously and take precautions if there was a real bomb,” Welter said. Welter encountered a bomb threat while in the fifth grade at Schuler Elementary. The bomb threat was made at the middle school. Schuler Elementary and the middle school were evacuated and students were told to wait outside until the school was cleared.

High school assistant principal Matt Alexander explained how the school district would handle a bomb threat. “Initially we determine the credibility of the threat.” If the threat has been defined as a credible risk, different courses of action will be taken. On the assumption that a suspicious package is found on school grounds, the students and staff will be evacuated immediately and local authorities will be called. School punishments can range from suspension to expulsion. Depending on the credibility of the threat, legal action can be taken against the student.

Although the student handbook does not list specific punishments for bomb threats; however, a “school disruption” is punishable with a three-day suspension, parent notification, and a meeting between the parents and the principal. The student will be referred to the school board for punishment.

Recently, in Cedar Rapids, Iowa, a man reported a suspicious package of what he believed to be a bomb, located outside of a daycare. He called police immediately. Meanwhile, children inside the daycare hunkered down in the daycare’s basement, as the daycare was put on lockdown. The suspicious package was inspected by police and ruled to be safe. In an article on kcrg.com, police said the man who reported the package did the right thing. “It’s better to be safe (than sorry).” 

There are several different ways to handle a suspicious package. One of the most important steps is to contact the police immediately. Also, it is recommended to evacuate civilians to a safe distance from the package and to not handle, shake or move it. If you personally receive a suspicious package, look for these warning signs: the package has a powder or liquid seeping out of it, there is a threatening note, or the item inside cannot be identified.

EVACUATION EDUCATION- Students run from the Atlantic High School during the 2016-17 ALICE Drill. They were informed to treat this procedure as if it were real. If a credible bomb threat was ever made upon the school, students would follow similar procedures learned from ALICE Drill to evacuate properly.