• April 23Trojan Diner is this Friday.

• April 23Boys' soccer hosts two games this week, on Thursday and Friday. Good luck!

• April 23The Drake Relays start on Thursday. The girls' and boys' teams have sent representatives to compete. Good luck!

• April 23Good luck to the girls' soccer team on Tuesday and Friday, as they take on St. Albert and Harlan.

• April 23Girls' tennis has three meets this week, on Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday. Good luck!

• April 23Boys' golf has two home meets this week, on Tuesday and Thursday. Good luck!

• April 23Boys' tennis has duals on Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday this week. Good luck!

• April 22The concert band will be holding their annual Patty Hannon concert on Sunday in the auditorium.

• April 22The speech and debate team is hosting a showcase on Saturday in the commons and auditorium.

Paperbacks in jeopardy?

by Behka Koontz

Reading books has been a part of everyday life since the invention of the printing press. However, technology has changed what we perceive as reading books.  Books aren’t only physical pages and words, but also virtual pictures of pages with writing and words.

There are many ways to access virtual “books.”  Some devices are solely made for reading virtual books such as the Kindle electronic (cost ranges from $139 – $300+).  There are also devices that offer virtual books as an application, such as the IPad ($499+).  On both these electronics, users pay for the book then the book is stored on the device so users can read the whole book again and again.  Individual electronic downloads of books cost about the same as a paperback version, or slightly less.

With the advances in technology a question arises, will books be around in five years?  The future of printing houses is already in jeopardy due to newspapers moving online, but with the addition of virtual books the survival of the paper industry is hanging in the balance.  Could it be possible that the paper industry will be a thing of the past due to the creation of technology?  Only time will tell.

1 Comment

One Response to “Paperbacks in jeopardy?”

1. Rapunzel on November 15th, 2010 12:10 pm

I love reading books, if books fail… I might just die…

Paperbacks in jeopardy?