AHS Band is back in action

By Alaura Schuler

AHS Band practices their field show before heading down to the Trojan Bowl

The Atlantic High School marching band took third place in marching and field competition at the Southwest Iowa Band Jamboree in Clarinda on Saturday Sept. 29.

The band got to Clarinda around 9 a.m. and immediately dressed to do their parade portion of the day. After the parade, the band went back to their busses to change into their regular clothes to eat lunch.

Not all students could change into their regular clothing because some of the AHS band were accepted into the SWIMBA (Southwest Iowa Honor Marching Band) performance. Senior Jake Aurbach said, “Those in the SWIMBA started off the field performance with playing their two songs- ‘Estancia’ and ‘Urban.'”

After the field performance of SWIMBA, the awards were handed out for the parade portion. AHS band received third-place award in parade, just two points shy of second place. After the awards, the band members could either go back to the busses and relax or watch other bands performing their field show.

Atlantic performed around 4:30 p.m. The band had to get ready about two hours before they were scheduled to perform so they could warm up and walk down to the field. After the performance, the band went back to their busses and prepared to head back to Atlantic.

The band got third place in field show also. Aurbach said, “We performed both well, third in both. We were close between Creston and Harlan. Over all it went really well. Everybody is executing things well for the most part.”

This Saturday, AHS Band will compete in West Des Moines at what they call Valleyfest.  This is an all-day event starting with performance at 9 a.m. on the field, then heading over to All Play, a place where the band will eat pizza, play lazer tag, play arcade games, and much more.

Students also plan to watch big bands play and go to Jordan Creek Mall for about three hours. The band usually doesn’t get back into Atlantic until midnight or 1 a.m.