• May 23The softball home opener is Friday against Thomas Jefferson. Good luck!

• May 23The baseball boys take on Red Oak at home on Thursday. Good luck!

• May 20Good luck to the singles players at state tennis on Friday and Saturday!

• May 20Good luck to the golfers at state on Thursday and Friday!

• May 20Good luck to the girls' soccer team on Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday this week!

AHS King Jake and Queen Caroline

By Shelby Tichota and Blake Meneely

King Jake Aurbach and Queen Caroline Trewet

Senior Jake Auerbach and Caroline Trewet were crowned 2012 Homecoming king and queen at the pep assembly on Friday, Sept. 28.

Master of Ceremony Miss Elizabeth Huggins introduced the Chamber Corale who sang “Sure on This Shining Night” by Morten Lauridsen. She then introduced the 2011 royalty, Savannah Hoye and Ryan McDermott. Hoye and McDermott crowned the new 2012 King and Queen.

The AHS cheerleaders performed a pep rally they prepared with their new coach, Taylor Hastings. The assembly included Speech by coach Ross, Cheerleaders led the battle cry, and a highlight of the assembly was the a flash mob dance called “Interlude,” that Spanish teacher Dan Vargason learned while a student at UNI and then taught to AHS this week. The cheerleaders challenged a representative of each class to eat through a pie of whip cream to find a piece of bubble gum, then blow a bubble. Sophomore Tyler Christen won the challenge.

Candidates for the 2012 Homecoming Court were as follows: Jake Auerbach, Libby Gifford, Dalton Franken, Liz Guttenfelder, Harrison Hoegh, Makenzie Holmes, Stuart Hoegh, Abby Johnson, Sam Markham, Diana Perkins, Jordan MAuk, Caroine Trewet, Bryce Wernimont and Shelby Worth.