Distinguished Sites Banner
Weather

• 3 AM
    56 °
  • 4 AM
    56 °
  • 5 AM
    56 °
  • 6 AM
    56 °
  • 7 AM
    57 °
  • 8 AM
    59 °
  • 9 AM
    62 °
  • 10 AM
    64 °
  • 11 AM
    66 °
  • 12 PM
    68 °
  • 1 PM
    70 °
  • 2 PM
    72 °
  • 3 PM
    72 °
  • 4 PM
    73 °
  • 5 PM
    72 °
  • 6 PM
    71 °
  • 7 PM
    70 °
  • 8 PM
    69 °
  • 9 PM
    69 °
  • 10 PM
    69 °
  • 11 PM
    70 °
  • 12 AM
    70 °
  • 1 AM
    71 °
  • 2 AM
    71 °
  • 3 AM
    71 °
July 1
74°/ 55°
Heavy rain
July 2
87°/ 70°
Moderate rain
July 3
76°/ 65°
Partly Cloudy
SAAC - The Student-Athlete Advisory Committee is made up of 14 girls from all corners of Iowa. The girls met at the IGHSAU headquarters in Des Moines.
Empowering Today to Lead Tomorrow
Claire Pellett, AHS Needle Lead Editor • April 30, 2024

FOCUS - Junior Hailey Huffman focuses on nocking her arrow to get the perfect shot. Huffman  made sure her stance was strong and her bow arm did not shake. Huffman shot 3D where she shot all the different animals at all different distances.
Archery Is On the Rise
Anna Potts, Editor • February 23, 2024

Archery- in its tenth year at AHS, the sport is gaining numbers and more of its events are gaining publicity. On Feb. 25, Atlantic is hosting...

Fletcher Toft and Megan Birge dance with glee as vampire villian siblings plotting to kill human students. The play New Kids at Vampire High will be performed on Friday and Saturday nights at 7 p.m. and 2 p.m. on Sunday.
The Point Episode 11: Spring Play Special
Ella Meyer and Kate NicholsMarch 15, 2024

Hosts Ella and Kate talk with some members of the upcoming spring play "New Kids at Vampire High." Music by AHS graduate Evan Brummer.

IHSSA State Debate last January.
The Road to National Qualifiers
Alyssa Neal, Writer/Editor • February 9, 2024

It’s that time of year when AHS Speech and Debate heads to National Qualifiers, or “nat quals” as the team likes to call them. There are...

The Point Episode 14: Goodbye Seniors
Kate Nichols and Ella MeyerMay 15, 2024

Hosts Kate and Ella talk with AHS seniors about their high school career and their futures. Music by AHS graduate Evan Brummer. This...

THINK ABOUT IT - Kylie Templeton contemplates her answer as she takes one of the Intro to Journalism students quiz.
Buzzfeed Quizzes 2023-2024
Intro to Journalism StudentsMay 9, 2024

Annabelle Meyer and Aubrey Winford: What AHS Car Parker Are You? Aunika Darrow and Rylee Bengel: What Type of Lift Style Are You? Addison...

Is College a Necessary Investment?

Take a deeper look into the positive effects of having a secondary education.
Alyssa Neal

It is easy to believe that with the increasing growth of the job market, a college degree has become irrelevant. Although, required education is largely influenced by your professional goals, as well as your life goals. There are many reasons why graduated high school students don’t attend college. Reasons ranging from a gap year turning into an uneducated adult life, cost, deception, or other reasons, has created a significant decrease in college applicants in the present years. However, without a college education, the workforce is an unpredictable place, with no guarantee of work. To employers, a college education shows capability of thinking critically, commitment to a long term project, and the mental capacity to store new information. Furthermore, a college education influences benefits such as pay gain, and creates better chances of securing a position. 

Critical thinking is used daily in the workforce from everyday tasks to year long projects. Examples of applying critical thinking in the workplace may be sifting through useful information as well as skeptical, to produce an impactful decision, or communicating with a colleague or client. Critical thinking births revolutionary ideas, helps people make more informed and strategic decisions, solve complex problems, and increase overall productivity. Out of ten employers, nine viewed critical thinking and data analysis as “very important” or “somewhat important” (Liberal Education, 2022), both of which are developed in post-secondary education according to the University of Connecticut. Lastly, according to Director of Research and Professional Development at the Center for Critical Thinking, Richard Paul, as well as President and Executive Director of the Foundation for Critical Thinking, Linda Eder, said, “The quality of our life and that of which we produce, make, or build depends precisely on the quality of our thought.” Critical thinking is the foundation of a strong education, and is needed for success in the workforce.

Education also shows commitment to long term projects, and the mental capacity to store new information. Alike with society, most employers associate academic achievements and intellect closely. As well as intellect, a four year or longer degree shows commitment to a specific niche of the workforce, as well as a demonstration of completing the tasks necessary for an assignment. When employers notice that you have a degree, they expect you’ve been faced with such tasks and surmounted them, resulting in an added boost for college graduates in the workforce. 

One of the most convincing reasons to attend college is better pay in the workforce. In 2020 the Iowa Department of Education reported that the average wage value for high school graduates was about $33,000, which follows behind those with at least a bachelor’s degree– who on average made $51,800 yearly. Furthermore, the level of degree impacts earnings as well.

According to a study conducted by GeorgeTown CEW in 2023, the higher the degree, the higher the earnings. This study reported that on average an Associate’s degree-holder earns $1.7 million over a lifetime, whilst a worker with a Bachelor’s degree will earn $2.3 million over a lifetime. Additionally, typical earnings for bachelor’s degree owners make $40,500 (or 86 percent) higher than those whose highest degree is a high school diploma (Association of Public and Land Grant Universities). To conclude, statistics show that without a college degree, maintaining a comfortable income is not likely to be attainable. 

Moreover, without a college education the workforce is an unpredictable place, with no guarantee of work. In a study conducted by Harvard Law and Business between 2007 and 2010, they found that nine of ten job postings required a bachelor’s degree, however, the same job was offered at one business without a bachelor’s degree. Furthermore, according to the Iowa Department of Education, 4.26% of people who only attended high school are unemployed, surpassing those with a bachelor’s degree by 2.78% (U.S. Census’ American Community Surveys 2020’s Estimates for Iowa). Overall, even when a job doesn’t require a bachelor’s degree, 91% of employers choose applicants that have obtained one. (Northwestern University, 2018). In conclusion, a college degree ensures employment in adulthood, as well as financial security. 

Although college costs a major amount of money, a secondary education is something that should not be overlooked.  Free Application for Federal Student Aid, grants like the Federal Pell Grant, as well as part- time jobs can help cover the cost of education. As a college graduate, doors are opened for opportunities that cannot be passed up. Pay gain, job opportunities, and added intelligence are all benefits stemming from a college education, and are definitely worth your time.