Is the New Phone Policy Necessary?

The new phone policy at AHS has been controversial among students.

Phone pockets can now be seen in every teachers classroom with the implementation of the new phone policy. They were designed to hold students cell phones during the duration of the class period, as to not distract them.

Austin Kalny

“Phone pockets” can now be seen in every teacher’s classroom with the implementation of the new phone policy. They were designed to hold student’s cell phones during the duration of the class period, as to not distract them.

Austin Kalny, Staff Writer

Is the Atlantic High School New Phone Policy really that new? When asked how the new cell phone policy was going, Andrew Mitchell, Vice Principal of AHS had this to say: “Actually, I am cautious with the word ‘new.’ It’s the same policy we’ve always had, just more strict, but it seems to be going well.” 

Although the policy is received well by most teachers, there have been contradicting views by the students of AHS, and even some teachers with a perspective that seems to be more reformative. Mackenzie Morris, an AHS junior, went on and said that the new phone policy is doing “poorly” because “the students don’t want to follow it and some teachers enforce it, while some don’t.” With Morris’ view on the policy, she also said that the newly restrictive change has affected her grades, rather than helped. She said, “My grades have just suffered, my phone provides resources that I could use for my work.”

Avery Knuth, a junior at AHS, said “I think some of us get distracted by our phones, I think there is a lot less missing work.” Although some views from students are positive and impacting, sophomore Alexis Hoyt feels the new phone policy isn’t necessary. Comparing how she was performing academically this year and last year, she said, “I’ve been doing the same, it doesn’t matter if we have our phones or not, we are still not going to understand the material.” 

With the students’ views, it is insightful to review some of the teachers’ views over the phone policy as well. Holly Esbeck, a teacher at AHS said “I think that it holds everyone accountable to not be on their phone when they should be working. I think as a society we need to be more conscious when we are on our phones.” 

With Esbeck’s views on the policy being supportive and practical, Elizabeth Herrick, a teacher at AHS, gave a point that was more versatile and more clear-sighted on the policy. When asked if she sees any positives from this policy, she said, “I’ve seen some positives, [like] students knowing more about what’s going on around them. But, that doesn’t mean necessary more engagement.” Herrick said, “I feel like the policy itself is going well and poorly. I think it was a black-and-white solution to a complex problem.”