How Art Affects Mental Health

Many students at AHS can feel stressed about creating artwork.

Freshman Cali Thompson washes her hands after doing a project with her friend. Art can bring many people together.

Kacie White

Kacie White

Art is a class that is relaxing for many individuals. It is a place where students can go to release their creativity. However, art can also be stressful as the creative process has its challenges along the way. AHS art teacher Elizabeth Herrick said, “Art supplies are kind of expensive, so it can become difficult to buy the material, and also find time to do it.” 

Art helps students with their mental health. It is a recreational activity that is relaxing, inspiring, and motivational, and there are many solutions to making the same artwork. It is a great coping mechanism to escape the issues in our lives. Sometimes we can say more in our artwork than by talking.

Some of the downfalls of art class are that many students struggle with creating original artworks, realism, and using different mediums. Senior Tessa Ritter said, “The fear of getting over a blank canvas” is one of her biggest struggles. Additionally, having a steady hand, patience, and time commitment can be very frustrating to some students. Some say they aren’t confident in their art. Confidence can be very hard for some students because art isn’t always perfect and some mistakes in artwork you can’t undo. Senior Aiden Whittle said, “constantly comparing my art and thinking my art will never be good enough,” can be a struggle for him.

Luckily, as Bob Ross has said, “We don’t make mistakes — we just have happy accidents.” So, even though the art isn’t what we were planning in the beginning, sometimes it turns out better. It turns out better because we learn from our mistakes and sometimes we discover new ideas. Additionally, all art is different. There are many different styles of art, so it doesn’t mean it’s terrible, it just means it’s different.