A Newly Advised NHS is Back with a Project this Thursday

Members have Six Days to Prepare for their First Big Project of the Year.

Drew Engler

Atlantic’s NHS chapter hosts at least two blood drives a year, one in the fall and one in the spring. This is a photo from a past event.

Dakota Oswalt, Lead Editor

The National Honor Society at Atlantic High School has been dormant this year, after failing to find a replacement for former advisor Jarrod O’Donnell. Students at AHS received an email saying that there would be a meeting regarding the National Honor Society in Choir instructor Evan Adamon’s classroom on Friday, Oct. 14. There, Adamon, the new NHS advisor, shockingly announced the group’s first project of the year. The annual fall blood drive will be held on Oct. 20, which gives NHS seniors just six days to plan the event.

NHS member Reese DeArment wishes the school had found a new advisor sooner, but feels optimistic about the blood drive. “I am confident in Mr. Adamon’s professionalism and fully believe he will do whatever it takes to get it done and make sure it’s the best it can be. Mr. Adamon is one of the most hard-working and trustworthy teachers I know and there’s no doubt in my mind that he’s going to be great,” she said. DeArment is most looking forward to trying new projects with her fellow NHS members.

NHS member Eleanor McCalla feels stressed about the timeline. “A lot of the journalists in NHS are going to be gone that day for a conference and it would have been nice to have an earlier notice.” She recognizes that it is not the school’s fault that an advisor could not be found sooner, as nobody was applying for the position. McCalla is most looking forward to the Christmas project with the teachers. “In the past, I think it was poorly organized and I think there’s so much potential there, so hopefully we can figure something out,” she said.

Look out for NHS members this week as they will be walking around both A and B lunches with a sign-up sheet for the blood drive. You have to be 16 years old and have your parent/guardian’s permission to donate.