Winter Break Provides Students a Much Needed Recess

Students in Atlantic High School have shown a large amount of excitement for a variety of reasons due to the upcoming winter break.

Students+at+AHS+decorated+trees+representing+different+activities+in+the+weeks+leading+up+to+break.+Students+were+looking+forward+to+break+for+a+variety+of+reasons+this+year.+

Jada Jensen

Students at AHS decorated trees representing different activities in the weeks leading up to break. Students were looking forward to break for a variety of reasons this year.

Jada Jensen, Staff Writer

Students in Atlantic High School have shown a large amount of excitement for a variety of reasons due to the upcoming winter break. Between the holidays, getting a break from school, and spending time with friends and family, students have many things to look forward to. The last day of school before the break is Dec. 21 and the students return on Jan. 5.

An AHS poll showed over 50 percent of students were the most excited about finally having a recess from school. Freshman Avery Nicholas said, “I am looking forward to having a break from school the most because I get to have a lot of free time and will be able to hang out with my friends.” 

This pie graph illustrates what the students of AHS our most looking forward to this holiday season. (Jada Jensen)

Along with Nicholas, senior Madison Botos said that she was excited to not have school because “that means we are so much closer to softball season.” This time away from school is important to students because it acts as a mental break and gives them time to focus on themselves. Winter break is a time for students to relax and unwind from the pressure and stress of school.

The Christmas holiday is also important to many AHS students. Sophomores Lexi Noelck and Ava Rush voted Christmas as their favorite holiday to celebrate. Both students added that they are excited to not have “any tests or schoolwork to stress about.” 

Freshman Jade Harter celebrates Christmas with her family each year. She said, “I love how Christmas portrays the importance of family and being together with the people that mean the most to you.”

Spending time with friends and family was a popular activity students were looking forward to during winter break. Freshman Claire Pellett voted family because her brother is going to be home from the Naval Academy. Pellett said she was excited to see him because it has “felt like forever since he has been home.” 

The normal year is just so busy for my family and I, so it is nice to have a break and just get to spend time together without interruptions.

— Reese DeArment

Sophomore Reese DeArment was another student who voted that she was most excited to spend time with her family. DeArment said, “The normal year is just so busy for my family and I, so it is nice to have a break and just get to spend time together without interruptions.”

This break means a lot to students because it signifies the halfway mark of the school year. The students of Atlantic High School look forward to a new year full of new opportunities when they come back.