Coaching Throughout COVID-19

A look into what guidelines coaches have been given for fall sports.

Christie Casey

Sophomore Caden Anderson gets ready to throw a pass downfield against Underwood.

Tanner O'Brien, Staff Writer

With the 2020-2021 sports seasons in full swing on restrictions for COVID-19 are making it more difficult for coaches and players. Atlantic Middle School football coach Connor Larson said, “We have to take a lot of breaks and social distance during practice and games.” Coaches are recommended to take player’s temperatures and ask for any symptoms of COVID-19. If a player has 2 or more symptoms they are required to leave and possibly get tested or qurantine. “We try not to stay together for more than ten minutes at a time,” Larson said.

Players are recommended to bring their own water bottles to practice and games. Coaches are also required to make sure the players don’t spit or wash their mouths out with water. “Some difficulties at practice have been changing some tackling drills,” Larson said. “The restrictions have slowed down practice.” Coaches are recommended to keep players in small groups of five to ten kids. 

During games, coaches and officials are required to stay six feet apart while interacting with each other. The IHSAA has expanded the sideline to each 10-yard line for players. Coaches still have to stay within both 25-yard lines. Larson said, “We have to separate on the bus rides to and from the games.” Only one player is allowed to sit in a seat and during the games, the officials will often stop the game for sanitization breaks. All balls and equipment have to be sanitized. After the game is over, players and coaches are not allowed to shake hands like they have been able to in the past. Teams can still acknowledge each other with appropriate not contact measures. 

Larson is trying to keep safe from COVID-19 too. He tries to stay six feet apart from people and away from large gatherings. Restrictions for COVID-19 have been set in place to keep players and coaches safe. For a full list of safety regulations, check out the guidelines set by the IHSAA.