Spring 2020 FFA Update

With Tractor Day and the District contest, the Atlantic chapter has been keeping busy.

Eric Miller

The ten boys who participated in Tractor Day pose with one of their sick rides. Tractor Day is an annual event.

The warmth in the weather has brought along a full schedule for the Atlantic FFA chapter. On Friday, March 6, students participated in Tractor Day, in which kids can drive a tractor to school. The participants met at the Atlantic Walmart parking lot before making the jaunt to school as a group. Ten students engaged in the activity: freshmen Chase Vogl, Dylan Comes, DJ Shepperd, Dan Freund, and Brett Dreager, sophomores Wyatt Redinbaugh and Cooper Jipsen, and seniors Derek Dreager, Dillon Shepperd, and Tate Den Beste. 

Den Beste said, “It was fun to be able to drive a tractor to school my senior year.”

The following day, the chapter sent students to the District contest in Harlan. In order to qualify for Districts, the FFA members had to do well at the Sub-District contest, which was held on Wednesday, Feb. 12. 

After their hard work on Saturday, the chapter is sending one to State. Senior Carli Henderson placed first in the Extemporaneous Speaking category, earning the Gold. Junior Craig Alan Becker earned third place in the Ag Sales event, grabbing the Gold and being an alternate for the State competition.

Other results from Districts include a fourth-place finish in Ag Broadcasting by sophomore Drew Engler and a fourth-place result from junior Gunner Kirchhoff in Ag Welding. The group of Den Beste, Comes, and Redinbaugh competed in the Chapter Website CDE and took home fourth.

Four members competed in the Farm Business Management Test. Junior Drey Newell was the runner-up, earning the Gold. Juniors Hannah Carlson and Caroline Pellett finished in 17th and 23rd place, respectively. Both girls took home the Gold. The final Atlantic contestant–junior Garrett Reynolds–snagged 34th place and the Silver. There were 87 entries in the competition.

In the FFA Freshman Greenhand Quiz, four members of the class of 2023 earned Silver ratings. Sofia Mendez was the top Atlantic competitor, earning 55th. Comes was close behind her, coming in 59th place. Freund and Jackson McLaren finished in 81st and 84th place, respectively.

Elsewhere at the District competition, senior Corri Pelzer retired as the District sentinel. Sophomores Aspen Niklasen and Malena Woodward were the chapter’s delegates.

On Thursday, March 12, the chapter announced via Twitter the 2020-21 officer team. Taylor McCreedy will lead Atlantic FFA in the Presidential role. Alyssa Derby will be the Vice President of the chapter. Becker will serve as the Secretary, Kirchhoff will take up the task of Treasurer, Niklasen slides in to the Reporter role, Redinbaugh will be the Sentinel, and Reynolds rounds out the panel as the Student Advisor.