Boys Basketball Loses First Game Back

The Trojans hosted Glenwood on the first day of the second semester.

Haley Rasmussen

Junior Skyler Handlos waits for a play to open up on the home court. Handlos leads the team in scoring, averaging 16.8 points per game.

For the second time this season, Atlantic boys basketball took on Glenwood. The Trojans hosted the Rams on Monday, Jan. 6. 

Earlier in the season, Glenwood topped Atlantic, 75-65. Since then, the Trojans and the Rams each won three games. The boys planned to use their knowledge from earlier in the season to shut down some of Glenwood’s highest scorers.

Juniors Grant Sturm, Skyler Handlos, Craig Alan Becker, and Garrett Reynolds, as well as senior Nile Petersen, made up the starting lineup for Atlantic.

After tip off, the two teams went head-to-head in a battle. Neither team led by more than five points during the first quarter. When the buzzer sounded, it was Glenwood with the upper hand, 14-13. The Trojans refocused in the second frame, snagging some sneaky shots that put them up by one heading into the locker room. 

After halftime, the boys tried to do more of the same, but couldn’t get their shots to fall. Some of Glenwood’s players who were quiet in the first half suddenly started sinking all of their shots. Atlantic was outscored in both quarters of the second half, leading to a 64-41 loss.

For the third game in a row, Petersen recorded a double-double. He splashed in 15 points to lead Atlantic. He also had 11 boards. Every boy who played in the varsity game on Monday night grabbed at least one rebound, resulting in a team total of 30.

Next up for the Trojans boys is a road contest on Friday, Jan. 10. Atlantic will take on Kuemper Catholic for conference credit.