Trojan Swim Faces Off in Carroll

Atlantic nabs one first-place finish.

Anastasia Muell

Brothers Cole and Alex Sampson chat after their race at the Nishna Valley YMCA. They were a part of the runner-up 400-yard freestyle relay team.

In their last high-school swim meet before winter break, the boys swim team headed to Carroll for a triangular on Thursday, Dec. 19. The Boone team also made the long haul to complete the field.

The boys’ team snagged one first-place finish on Thursday night. Sophomore Bryan York was the top dog in the 500-yard freestyle. York earned runner-up honors in the 200-yard freestyle event as well. Also in second place was sophomore Drew Engler. He was the second to touch in the 100-yard breaststroke event, putting up points for his team.

The Trojans had one relay finish in second at the meet. York teamed up with sophomores Alex Sampson and Brayden Atkinson, as well as senior Cole Sampson, for the 400-yard freestyle relay. 

Atlantic swimming will dive back into the pool on Tuesday, Jan. 7 at the Nishna Valley YMCA. The Trojans will host Sioux City West and Waukee. This will be the second of the three home meets for the boys in the 2019-20 campaign.