“Okay Boomer”

A new phrase can be heard through the halls of AHS.

Freshman Clevi Johnson stands next to history teacher Terry Hinzmann. A member of the baby boomer generation, Hinzmann hears the okay boomer comments on the daily.

Drew Engler

Freshman Clevi Johnson stands next to history teacher Terry Hinzmann. A member of the baby boomer generation, Hinzmann hears the “okay boomer” comments on the daily.

Drew Engler, Staff Writer

The phrase “okay boomer” has been used by younger generations lately as a retort to the older generations. Is it justified?

The term “okay boomer” originated on TikTok and Instagram among young users. Millennials and gen Zers have started using baby boomers as scapegoats for the United State’s political, economic, and environmental problems.

The terms “baby boomer” (born 1946 – 1964), “millennial” (born 1981 – 1996), and “generation Z” (Born 1997 – present) are all used as definitions of different generations. There are a lot of differences between the generations, which is why some do not come to terms with one another. For example, boomers–short for baby boomers–went through childhood without much technology, while generation Z was born when technology was at its peak. Millennials were a mix of both. Different experiences mean different opinions, which lead to controversy among the generations. 

English teacher Allison Berryhill is a baby boomer. She said, “Phones and social media give youth a new level of complexity we didn’t have.” As a teacher, she likes working with the younger generations. She said younger generations are concerned with climate change, are open-minded, and they try hard not to be judgmental, unlike the baby boomers. Berryhill said in her childhood, she had her own land-line phone, but phone calls were limited to evenings because there were no cell phones. She said she walked everywhere with her friends, instead of driving. 

Spanish teacher Dan Vargason, a millennial, said, “Being a 90s kid was awesome.” He believes his generation doesn’t have the complete advantage over the younger generations because they are more technologically advanced and have more access to information, but they have no idea what to do with it. He says that the older generation can get things like managing money wrong, but they have an amazing work ethic. 

Sophomore Weston Hoover is a firm believer in the “okay boomer” mindset. He said the baby boomers had it coming in the first place. He stated they did not listen to the younger generations’ complaints, so they shortened their repeated arguments to “okay boomer.” Hoover said the old generations did a nice job at making money, however, the financial gain messed with the economy. He believes that generation Z is superior to the older generations because the younger generations are more open-minded to ideas.

Although millennials and generation Z may believe they are better than boomers due to their technological prowess, they are still flawed. Each generation has its ups and downs, as said by Vargason and Berryhill. For example, boomers are known to be less technologically advanced, but their work ethic is known to be unmatched. The arguments between the generations are still occurring and evolving as more people develop their opinions.