Another Year of Halftime Hurrahs

Marching band to perform at home football game.

High+school+band+director+Jarrod+O%E2%80%99Donnell+walks+with+the+Trojan+Guard+at+the+2018+Homecoming+Parade.+Aside+from+the+halftime+performances%2C+the+band+will+play+in+two+parades--the+Clarinda+Band+Jamboree+and+the+Homecoming+parade.+

High school band director Jarrod O’Donnell walks with the Trojan Guard at the 2018 Homecoming Parade. Aside from the halftime performances, the band will play in two parades–the Clarinda Band Jamboree and the Homecoming parade.

Molly McFadden, Editor

What happens at band camp, stays at band camp. That is, except for the music they learn. This Friday, Aug. 30, the Trojan Guard will perform their first set of the season. The set is titled contemporary, featuring a mix of pop music.

Gwen Irlmeier, a flute player, said that she is excited for the season and she thinks Friday’s performance will go “pretty good.” Irlmeier enjoys this week’s set because the songs are “really groovy.” The Trojan Guard will perform at all four home games this year. The other sets that will be performed this fall are Classic Rock, Queen, and John Williams.

The color guard will also perform with the band every Friday. Color guard was brought back to Atlantic last year after some students showed interest in it. Jasmyne Oasay-Waddell is the color guard captain. “Color guard is going great!” Oasay-Waddell said. “We have some really fun and challenging routines for this Friday and I can’t wait to see it come to life.”

The Trojan Guard will take the field before the varsity football game on Friday, as well as at halftime.