Softball Team Slaps Missouri Valley in Season Opener

A 12-hit attack led the Trojans toward victory in their first game of the season.

The Trojan softball team breaks down before a game last season. In 2018, their record was 30-7, which included a state berth.

AHS Softball Facebook

The Trojan softball team got back in action on Wednesday, May 22 against the Missouri Valley Lady Reds in the season opener. After losing two lineup regulars in pitcher Ally Anderson and third baseman Alexis Handel, the Trojans were ready to test the waters with their updated team in regular-season play.

Sophomore Olivia Engler stepped into the circle for the Trojans. According to Engler, she was nervous–but also excited–to pitch. Last season, Engler had four varsity starts, resulting in nine total strikeouts. On Wednesday night, she limited the Lady Reds’ offense by striking out batters seven times, and allowing three hits in the shutout.

On the offensive side, the Trojans had 12 hits in 29 at bats. Senior Baylee Newell and sophomore Alyssa Derby each had three RBIs, while Engler, junior Kenzie Waters, and senior Karsyn Rush each added two more. Atlantic stole six bases, and drew four walks in order to finish up the game in five innings, 13-0.

The home opener for the softball girls was set to be Friday, May 24, but rain affected those plans. Now, the girls are slated to take on Exira-EHK on Thursday, May 30 in front of the home crowd for the first time this season.