Tennis Girls Earn Two Dual Wins

The Trojans took on the Harlan Cyclones and Audubon Wheelers this week and came out on top in both.

SHARP+FOCUS+-+Sophomore+Nellie+Grooms+keeps+a+straight+face+during+her+doubles+match+with+sophomore+Molly+McFadden.+

Dani Mathisen

SHARP FOCUS – Sophomore Nellie Grooms keeps a straight face during her doubles match with sophomore Molly McFadden.

Molly McFadden, Staff Writer

The Trojans got their first dual wins of the season back to back, defeating Harlan and Audubon this week. Genevieve Martinez played #2 singles and #1 doubles both days, winning three out of her four matches. Martinez said, “We’ve been working hard at practice and we’ve had some good matches this week. Due to good communication, we were able to get some wins.”

The girls traveled to Harlan on Monday, April 22, to take on the Cyclones. The Trojans came out on top with a team score of 6-3. Single wins came from #1 Hana Holtz, #2 Martinez, #4 Nellie Grooms, and #6 Olivia Engler. The final two wins of the day were attributed to the doubles teams of Holtz/Martinez and Tessa Grooms/Engler.

Tuesday’s meet led the Trojans to another victory, defeating the Wheelers 5-4. The score stayed close the entire meet. Coming out of the singles matches the score was tied 3-3, with wins from Holtz, Martinez, and Engler. In doubles, Holtz/Martinez took a tough loss at #1, but #2 Molly McFadden/N. Grooms and #3 T. Grooms/Engler both came out with victories, securing the team’s win. Engler said, “I was really excited after our win over Audubon because it’s something that we worked really hard for. I look forward to playing more and hopefully winning more matches.”