• April 19Girls' soccer is home on Monday against Collins-Maxwell. Good luck!

• April 19Good luck to the boys' soccer team in Creston on Monday! JV kicks off at 5 p.m., with varsity to follow.

• April 19Both track teams will participate in the Co-Ed Ram Invite on Monday. Good luck!

• April 19The Trojan tennis teams take on Harlan on Monday. Boys are at home, and girls are on the road. Good luck!

• April 19Boys' golf will be participating in the Monarch Invitational on Monday. Good luck!

• April 19The girls' golf team will be participating in an invitational on Monday. Good luck!

Tennis Boys Snap Back

Atlantic boys' tennis improves to 2-1 after topping Shenandoah and Glenwood.

Tennis Boys Snap Back

Sophomore Grant Sturm takes a breath before serving to his opponent. This is Sturm's first year playing tennis. He is undefeated in the #6 spot thus far, after topping challengers from Kuemper Catholic, Shenandoah, and Glenwood.

Dani Mathisen

Dani Mathisen

Dani Mathisen

Despite suffering a season-opening loss to Kuemper Catholic, the Trojan boys’ tennis team announced their arrival at home against Shenandoah and Glenwood early this week. On the home court, the varsity squad snagged both duals to improve their record to 2-1.

On Monday, the boys’ won four singles matches and swept the doubles matches against Shenandoah in order to win the meet, 7-2. Juniors Nile Petersen (#1)  and Brody O’Brien (#3) were singles winners for the Trojans, along with sophomores Ethan Williams (#4) and Grant Sturm (#6). Petersen continued his dominance at the #1 spot, as he only lost one game in his singles match. Two players were first-time varsity-singles winners for the Trojans–O’Brien grabbed the win in tiebreak, and Williams sealed the deal 10-3. G. Sturm cleaned up in the #6 spot with a 10-7 win.

In the doubles department, Atlantic swept all three matches. Junior Jesse Reid teamed up with Petersen once again en route to a 10-1 victory. O’Brien and G. Sturm played #2 doubles together and came out on top, 10-6. Freshman Ethan Sturm took a turn in the varsity lineup as William’s doubles partner and claimed the win, 10-4.

On Tuesday, the Trojans swept Glenwood, 9-0. Highlights from Tuesday’s meet include four shutout wins. In singles, Petersen and G. Sturm rolled to 10-0 victories. In doubles, the #1 doubles team of Petersen and Reid, as well as the #3 doubles team of E. Sturm and sophomore Bodie Johnson, shut out their opponents.

After a postponement due to rain, the Atlantic boys will face Creston on Thursday. The meet was originally set for April 4. Play begins at 4:30 p.m.

About the Contributors

Hana Holtz is a member of the AHSneedle team, where she works with other journalists to keep the news website updated. “We work very hard,” she said....

Dani Mathisen, Staff Writer

Dani Mathisen, a sophomore has been planning on where she wants to go to college and what she wants to do since eighth grade. She wants to go to a community...