• April 19Girls' soccer is home on Monday against Collins-Maxwell. Good luck!

• April 19Good luck to the boys' soccer team in Creston on Monday! JV kicks off at 5 p.m., with varsity to follow.

• April 19Both track teams will participate in the Co-Ed Ram Invite on Monday. Good luck!

• April 19The Trojan tennis teams take on Harlan on Monday. Boys are at home, and girls are on the road. Good luck!

• April 19Boys' golf will be participating in the Monarch Invitational on Monday. Good luck!

• April 19The girls' golf team will be participating in an invitational on Monday. Good luck!

Three Groups Advance to State Speech Competition

Students participating in ensemble acting, group mime and improv will perform next at the State competition on Feb. 2.

THE LOOK OF SUCCESS - Speech participants grin after a rewarding day. Three of Atlantic's four performing groups received one ratings at District Speech and will be advancing to State.

Ashley Wendt, Lead Editor

Three groups from the speech and debate team will advance to State after receiving one ratings at the District Large Group Speech Competition on Saturday, Jan. 19. Atlantic brought 11 students to Clarinda High School, participating in four categories. Genevieve Martinez, Molly McFadden and Halsey Bailey will advance to State in ensemble acting; Abigail Evans, Sarah Schorle and Troy Roach advance in group mime; and Roach, Olivia Engler and Katy Rothfusz advance in improv. Improv duo of Lane Muell and Brycen Erickson received a two rating and will not advance to State.

If you’re thinking about doing speech or fall play, you should do it.”

— Halsey Bailey

After the judge had “nothing bad to say” at the conclusion of their performance, Bailey said her group “thought we had a good chance of getting a one [rating].” Upon getting the results, Bailey said the group high-fived, and “I was proud of myself.” The ensemble trio of Bailey, Martinez and McFadden performed a piece they had actually already done before in drama class the previous year, called “Hold For Three.” After advisor Alex Bales told them they should perform it for speech, they decided to re-memorize it for competition purposes. “When you perform, you’re in a classroom, so it’s not that intimidating,” Bailey said.

“If you’re thinking about doing speech or fall play, you should do it,” Bailey advises. “Don’t hesitate. Just try out for it.” Those who are interested can contact Bales or co-advisor Trisha Niceswanger. “I wish I would’ve done it before my senior year. I regret that.”

The State speech competition will take place on Saturday, Feb. 2.

Ashley Wendt, Lead Editor

Journalism is a family affair for the Wendts, as Ashley Wendt’s siblings got her involved in Journalism. Her brother Trevor was the first to join and...