Trojans Host First Home Dual

LOOK+OF+A+CHAMPION-+Senior+Chase+McLaren+looks+to+the+crowd+during+his+finals+match+at+the+Southeast+Polk+Tournament.+McLaren+set+a+new+school+record+for+wins+at+the+Council+Bluffs+Classic+and+celebrated+at+the+home+duals.+

Caroline Pellett

LOOK OF A CHAMPION- Senior Chase McLaren looks to the crowd during his finals match at the Southeast Polk Tournament. McLaren set a new school record for wins at the Council Bluffs Classic and celebrated at the home duals.

Grace Barkley and Jenna Pelzer

The Atlantic-CAM wrestlers had two home dual victories on Thursday, Dec. 13. The
Trojans snagged a 52-20 win against Lewis Central and a 57-18 win against Carroll Kuemper Catholic.

Chase McLaren picked up his 172nd win in his first match of the night, setting a new school record for the Trojans. C. McLaren surpassed the previous record of 167 wins, set by 2018 graduate Kole Hansen, a two-time State place winner. C. McLaren pinned his opponent in three minutes and 58 seconds, causing an uproar from the crowd and his teammates.

The team secured five pins against Lewis Central including pins from seniors C. McLaren, Kenny Jimerson, Mitchell Williamson, and junior Aybren Moore and sophomore Joe Weaver. Due to open weight classes junior Cale Roller and sophomore Devin McKay did not compete against LC. Connor Pellett, another senior, beat his opponent 14-4 with a major decision. Both sophomore Steele McLaren and freshman Kadin Stutzman won their matches 7-2 and 7-3 respectively.

During the duel against Kuemper, the Atlantic-CAM wrestlers picked up three pins from Pellett, Jimerson and Weaver. Open weight classes left C. McLaren, Stutzman, Williamson, freshman Garrett McLaren, senior Chase Mullinex and S. McLaren from wrestling Kuemper. Roller won his match 9-2. He said the team prepared for the meet with a tough week of practice. He said, ”I didn’t do as well as I wanted to, but as a team we did good.”