Wrestlers Face Tough Competition at Council Bluffs Classic

Jenna Pelzer

KEEP HIM DOWN – Senior Connor Pellett works hard to hold his opponent on the mat. Pellett was one of two wrestlers to place in the tournament, earning eighth.

Erin Wendt, Editor

The Atlantic-CAM Trojans made their way to the Council Bluffs Wrestling Classic on Dec. 7 and 8, leaving with two wrestlers earning top ten finishes, including a runner-up.

The two-day tournament kicked off on Friday, Dec. 7 with weigh-ins starting at 11 a.m. Matches began at 1 p.m. with round-robin style wrestling. According to the official site for The Council Bluffs Wrestling Classic, wrestlers are put into five-man groups with the top two moving on to the Gold Bracket, third and fourth place to the Silver Bracket, and fifth place eliminated. On Saturday, wrestling in the brackets began, with 16 wrestlers in each.

For the Trojans, Seniors Chase McLaren (138) and Connor Pellett (160) were the only wrestlers to place in the tournament with C. McLaren earning a second place finish and Pellett finishing in eighth. The next highest place was junior Cale Roller, wrestling 220 and finishing in 11th. Freshmen Garrett McLaren (106) and Kadin Stutzman (145)  earned 15th and 16th respectively. Finishing out the teen placings was freshman Ethan Follman (113), ending the tournament in 19th. Three Trojans finished in 21st, including senior Mitchell Williamson (182), and sophomores Steele McLaren (126) and Joe Weaver (120). Finishing in 25th place was senior Kenny Jimerson (170) and sophomores Devin McKay (195) and Payton Fewson (152) ended the tournament in 26th. Sophomore Jaxson Bell (132) finished in 27th.

The Trojans are hosting a double dual on Thursday, Dec. 13 against the Kuemper Catholic Knights and Lewis Central Titans. The dual will start at 5:30 p.m. in the AHS gymnasium.