Girls’ Basketball Season Opens at Home

Trojans fall to Carroll in season opener.

Anna Lowary and Chloe Davis

Junior Corri Pelzer sets the ball up during the season opener against Carroll. Pelzer plays on both the JV and varsity team.

The winter sports season kicked off at home as the Trojans took on the Carroll Tigers on Monday. This was the first competition among all of the winter sports–boys’ basketball, boys’ swimming, wrestling, and dance team.

This was the first game of the season for both the Trojans and the Tigers. Last season, Atlantic went 3-17, with wins against Clarinda and Carroll. The Tigers went 5-16 in the 2017-18 season. Also, this was the first game for Atlantic under new head coach Dan Vargason.

The JV squad took the court first. The Tigers outlasted the Trojans 38-26.

After JV, the varsity team suited up. The Trojans looked to top Carroll for the second year in a row. Seniors Alyssa Ginter, Baylee Newell, and Heidi Williams, along with junior Kenzie Waters and sophomore Haley Rasmussen, started for the Trojans.

After the ball was tipped, Carroll gained possession. The Trojans remained scoreless through the first few minutes of the game. Atlantic trailed 4-0, but Rasmussen stepped in and hit a three for the Trojans. The two teams went back and forth, and Atlantic gained the lead at 5-4. The Trojans maintained the lead until they fouled, which resulted in Carroll making one of their two free throws. Atlantic and Carroll finished the first quarter at nine points a piece.

During the second quarter, Ginther was fouled by a Carroll player. She received two free throws. Ginther missed the first, but made the second. Once again, the game was tied up. However, a quick 4-0 run at the end of the first half pushed Carroll to the front as the teams headed to the locker room.

Throughout the second half, Atlantic gave up many offensive rebounds, which caused Carroll to score many of their points from fast-break play. At the end of the third quarter, the Tigers led 43-29.

In the final quarter, both teams netted numbers in the double digits, but Carroll outscored the Trojans. When the buzzer sounded, Atlantic had lost their first game of the season 64-43.

In the season opener, Newell led the team with 13 points. Ginther had nine points, six of which were three-pointers.

With the season officially started, the Trojans look to compete in a tough conference. Three of the ten conference opponents Atlantic faces are ranked in the preseason poll by the Iowa Girls High School Athletic Union.