• April 19Girls' soccer is home on Monday against Collins-Maxwell. Good luck!

• April 19Good luck to the boys' soccer team in Creston on Monday! JV kicks off at 5 p.m., with varsity to follow.

• April 19Both track teams will participate in the Co-Ed Ram Invite on Monday. Good luck!

• April 19The Trojan tennis teams take on Harlan on Monday. Boys are at home, and girls are on the road. Good luck!

• April 19Boys' golf will be participating in the Monarch Invitational on Monday. Good luck!

• April 19The girls' golf team will be participating in an invitational on Monday. Good luck!

AHS Journalism Claims Another Award

The Javelin is an award-winning publication.

AHS Journalism Claims Another Award

Senior Taylor Hansen holds the award-winning 2017-18 yearbook. Hansen designed the football, Homecoming, and girls’ basketball spreads.

After taking home the title of All-Iowa News Team of the Year for class A, AHS journalism snagged yet another award for their hard work. This time the focus was on the 2017-18 Javelin.

The Iowa High School Press Association, or IHSPA, judged the Javelin on unifying concepts (photography and design), reader services (the index), the quality of the pages for extracurricular activities, and the ad page.

In the design and extracurricular section, the Javelin received an “excellent” rating. “Excellent” is the highest rating possible. In the ads and reader services portion, the Javelin claimed a “good” rating, which is the second highest.

Altogether, the entire book received the Award of Distinguished Merit, which is the second highest award possible. According to the IHSPA, the Award of Distinguished Merit is given to publications that are “solid journalistically, photographically, and graphically.” The description goes on to state “they exhibit a mastery of the basic applications of journalism and related skills in yearbook publishing.”

Co-Editor in Chief of the Javelin, Sarah Schorle, said “it’s really awesome to see all your hard work pay off. It’s very validating, especially after putting in countless hours both in and outside of school.” She plans on taking the judge’s criticisms to help make this year’s Javelin great.

Hana Holtz is a member of the AHSneedle team, where she works with other journalists to keep the news website updated. “We work very hard,” she said....