Volleyball Girls Get Swept at Creston

Junior+Kenzie+Waters+gets+down+and+ready+for+an+oncoming+ball.+

Emma Templeton

Junior Kenzie Waters gets down and ready for an oncoming ball.

The volleyball team traveled to Creston on Tuesday to take on two conference challengers–Creston and Lewis Central. Coming into the match, Creston had lost seven straight games, and Lewis Central had a five game winning streak. The Trojans looked to add a loss to each team’s record.

Creston was the first opponent for the Trojans. This matchup was the first time the two teams have met this season. In the first set, both the Panthers and the Trojans were able to get under the ball in order to keep it in play. However, the Panthers got more hits onto the floor, and in turn, more points. Creston won the first set 25-11.

The second set went a little better for Atlantic. Still, the team dropped the set 25-15. In the deciding set, Atlantic hung right with Creston until the very end. Creston took the last set 25-19, and the straight set win.

Against the Panthers, Atlantic was limited to nine kills. Creston was able to dig up almost every ball that came their way. The Trojans were also resilient and dug up tough shots too. Every girl that played in the match against Creston grabbed at least one dig. The team total against Creston was 45.

Following the defeat from the Panthers, the Trojans moved on to compete against a stronger Lewis Central team. The Titans had also competed at the same tournament the Trojans had, and beat CAM as well. Just like the Trojans, Lewis Central lost to Panorama and AHSTW. This gave the volleyball girls hope the match with Lewis Central would be a winnable one.

In the first set, Atlantic was the victim of some of Lewis Central’s best hitters. The Trojans also pushed some balls onto the floor. Lewis Central powered through, and claimed the first set 25-13. The second set was very similar. The Titans won 25-13. At the start of the third set, the Atlantic girls hoped to push the match farther with a third set win, but failed to do so, losing the third set 25-9.

In the Lewis Central match, junior Chloe Davis and sophomore Alyssa Derby went 6-6 for serving, and senior Sadie Welter went 7-7. Also, the team had 38 digs.

Through two matches, Atlantic totaled 22 kills. Derby led the pack with 13. The Trojans also notched 83 digs. Libero Kenzie Waters slated the most digs on the stat sheet with 31.

The season is winding down for the volleyball girls. They have four more chances to achieve their goal of winning two conference games. Upcoming opponents for the Trojans are Kuemper Catholic, Denison-Schleswig, Shenandoah and Red Oak.