• October 15The boys' and girls' varsity cross country teams will compete in Glenwood on Thursday at the State qualifying meet. Good luck!

• October 15Trojan football has their last game this Friday vs Red Oak. The theme is Pink Out!

Volleyball Girls Get Swept at Creston

Junior+Kenzie+Waters+gets+down+and+ready+for+an+oncoming+ball.+
Junior Kenzie Waters gets down and ready for an oncoming ball.

Emma Templeton

Emma Templeton

The volleyball team traveled to Creston on Tuesday to take on two conference challengers–Creston and Lewis Central. Coming into the match, Creston had lost seven straight games, and Lewis Central had a five game winning streak. The Trojans looked to add a loss to each team’s record.

Creston was the first opponent for the Trojans. This matchup was the first time the two teams have met this season. In the first set, both the Panthers and the Trojans were able to get under the ball in order to keep it in play. However, the Panthers got more hits onto the floor, and in turn, more points. Creston won the first set 25-11.

The second set went a little better for Atlantic. Still, the team dropped the set 25-15. In the deciding set, Atlantic hung right with Creston until the very end. Creston took the last set 25-19, and the straight set win.

Against the Panthers, Atlantic was limited to nine kills. Creston was able to dig up almost every ball that came their way. The Trojans were also resilient and dug up tough shots too. Every girl that played in the match against Creston grabbed at least one dig. The team total against Creston was 45.

Following the defeat from the Panthers, the Trojans moved on to compete against a stronger Lewis Central team. The Titans had also competed at the same tournament the Trojans had, and beat CAM as well. Just like the Trojans, Lewis Central lost to Panorama and AHSTW. This gave the volleyball girls hope the match with Lewis Central would be a winnable one.

In the first set, Atlantic was the victim of some of Lewis Central’s best hitters. The Trojans also pushed some balls onto the floor. Lewis Central powered through, and claimed the first set 25-13. The second set was very similar. The Titans won 25-13. At the start of the third set, the Atlantic girls hoped to push the match farther with a third set win, but failed to do so, losing the third set 25-9.

In the Lewis Central match, junior Chloe Davis and sophomore Alyssa Derby went 6-6 for serving, and senior Sadie Welter went 7-7. Also, the team had 38 digs.

Through two matches, Atlantic totaled 22 kills. Derby led the pack with 13. The Trojans also notched 83 digs. Libero Kenzie Waters slated the most digs on the stat sheet with 31.

The season is winding down for the volleyball girls. They have four more chances to achieve their goal of winning two conference games. Upcoming opponents for the Trojans are Kuemper Catholic, Denison-Schleswig, Shenandoah and Red Oak.

About the Contributors

Hana Holtz is a member of the AHSneedle team, where she works with other journalists to keep the news website updated. “We work very hard,” she said. According to Holtz, she didn’t want to do journalism at first but journalism advisor Alison Berryhill convinced her to do it. Holtz said, “I liked it both semesters and decided to just keep doing it.” She writes stories about school activities and events and her favorite part about the class is the people in it. The yearbook story she wrote with classmate Aly Brockob was her favorite story she has published to date. In her free time, Holtz likes to play tennis, watch TV and Netflix–the “usual stuff.” She also likes to cheer on the Chicago Cubs, her favorite professional sports team.

Story by Colin Mullenix and Payton Fewson

Kayla Mauk, Journalism Production Student

Atlantic High School sophomore Kayla Mauk, aka Kmauk4213, is a Journalism Production student. She has been involved in Student Council, AHS fuel, volleyball, wrestling managing, and soccer. Mauk is a member of the AHS Dance Team, and dances at Dance Atlantic.  “In my freetime, I love hanging out with my friends; especially Kylie Neal.” Mauk has a family of six including her dog, Bailey, her two older brothers, Jordan and Tanner, and her parents, Jeff and Stacey. Her favorite color is purple and the movie you would most likely find her watching is The Breakfast Club because it’s such an “inspiring movie.” Mauk wants to attend college to become a psychiatric nurse after high school. Written by Kylie Neal

Emma Templeton, Editor

Emma Templeton joined journalism as a sophomore, because “my brother Logan took it so I decided to take it.” So far she has liked journalism and how they have done Eye of the Needle and also went to Omaha, NE to visit the KETV Weather Station as part of a journalism trip last school year. Templeton is the photo editor and a video editor for the department. She also does birthday shoutouts for students in the school by tweeting a picture on the AHSneedle account with the student’s name. If Templeton had all the money in the world, she would “buy a polar bear.”

Story by Bodie Johnson and Maycie Waters