• November 12There is an All State music festival this Thursday Friday and Saturday!

• November 12There is an FFA meeting tomorrow at 6:30 in Mr. Miller's room.

Trojan Volleyball Sees Results From Weekend Tournament

An eight game losing streak comes to an end.

High+fives+are+given+all+round+by+the+volleyball+girls+before+the+start+of+a+new+set.+
High fives are given all round by the volleyball girls before the start of a new set.

Emma Templeton

Emma Templeton

After having a weekend off, the Atlantic Trojan volleyball team dug back in with another early morning, and another long day, as they headed to Southwest Valley’s tournament on Saturday. The team had to compete against scrappy schools from other conferences and classes at the tourney.

To start off the day, Atlantic took on CAM for the fourth time this season. In every match up until this one, the Cougars had topped the Trojans in straight sets. Atlantic was hungry to get revenge.

The Trojans won their first set 21-18. As the team had played CAM many times this season, they knew who the heavy hitters were and how to approach them. However, CAM took the second set 21-13, pushing the match to the third set, which decided the match. The final set was another close one, as the game was nudged to extra points. The Trojans clinched their first win against CAM this season, as well as their first win on the day, with a third set win at 17-15.

In the match against CAM, Atlantic notched an impressive 41 digs. Sophomore Caroline Pellet led the group with 10 digs, while libero Kenzie Waters was right behind with nine.

An excited Trojan squad headed into their second match on the day against Panorama. This was the first time the two teams had met each other this season. In the first set, Atlantic was consistently with Panorama, but came up short 21-18. The girls hoped to rally back and force the game to go to three sets. Trojans errors made this goal unattainable, and Atlantic lost the second set 21-12.

Against Panorama, junior Chloe Davis went 8 for 8 from behind the service line. Senior Sadie Welter claimed the lone ace.

Next, Atlantic was matched up with AHSTW. The two groups had played each other at a seperate weekend tournament a couple weeks prior. In that match Atlantic put up a W 2-1. The Trojans looked to have a repeat of that match.

The AHSTW squad came out firing on all cylinders and took the first set 21-13. In the second set, the Trojans rebounded and snatched the second set 21-14. In their second three-set match of the day, improved serving helped keep the Trojans going. Still, AHSTW got even on the Trojans 15-10. The loss of the match sent the Trojans packing as they went 1-2 on the day.

In their final match, the Trojans slated 34 digs on the stat sheet. Waters was the leader with 13 digs of her own. They also had 22 kills and five aces.

Through the eight sets played by the Trojans, they had 54 kills, 82 digs, and 11 blocks. Sophomore Alyssa Derby had the most kills on the day with 22, while Waters had 28 digs on the day. Derby and senior Taylor Hansen put up four blocks apiece.

With the win against challenging opponent CAM, the Trojans snapped an eight game losing streak. They also witnessed how much they have improved over the season.

About the Contributors

Hana Holtz is a member of the AHSneedle team, where she works with other journalists to keep the news website updated. “We work very hard,” she said. According to Holtz, she didn’t want to do journalism at first but journalism advisor Alison Berryhill convinced her to do it. Holtz said, “I liked it both semesters and decided to just keep doing it.” She writes stories about school activities and events and her favorite part about the class is the people in it. The yearbook story she wrote with classmate Aly Brockob was her favorite story she has published to date. In her free time, Holtz likes to play tennis, watch TV and Netflix–the “usual stuff.” She also likes to cheer on the Chicago Cubs, her favorite professional sports team.

Story by Colin Mullenix and Payton Fewson

Emma Templeton, Editor

Emma Templeton joined journalism as a sophomore, because “my brother Logan took it so I decided to take it.” So far she has liked journalism and how they have done Eye of the Needle and also went to Omaha, NE to visit the KETV Weather Station as part of a journalism trip last school year. Templeton is the photo editor and a video editor for the department. She also does birthday shoutouts for students in the school by tweeting a picture on the AHSneedle account with the student’s name. If Templeton had all the money in the world, she would “buy a polar bear.”

Story by Bodie Johnson and Maycie Waters