Trojan Volleyball Sees Results From Weekend Tournament

An eight game losing streak comes to an end.

High+fives+are+given+all+round+by+the+volleyball+girls+before+the+start+of+a+new+set.+

Emma Templeton

High fives are given all round by the volleyball girls before the start of a new set.

After having a weekend off, the Atlantic Trojan volleyball team dug back in with another early morning, and another long day, as they headed to Southwest Valley’s tournament on Saturday. The team had to compete against scrappy schools from other conferences and classes at the tourney.

To start off the day, Atlantic took on CAM for the fourth time this season. In every match up until this one, the Cougars had topped the Trojans in straight sets. Atlantic was hungry to get revenge.

The Trojans won their first set 21-18. As the team had played CAM many times this season, they knew who the heavy hitters were and how to approach them. However, CAM took the second set 21-13, pushing the match to the third set, which decided the match. The final set was another close one, as the game was nudged to extra points. The Trojans clinched their first win against CAM this season, as well as their first win on the day, with a third set win at 17-15.

In the match against CAM, Atlantic notched an impressive 41 digs. Sophomore Caroline Pellet led the group with 10 digs, while libero Kenzie Waters was right behind with nine.

An excited Trojan squad headed into their second match on the day against Panorama. This was the first time the two teams had met each other this season. In the first set, Atlantic was consistently with Panorama, but came up short 21-18. The girls hoped to rally back and force the game to go to three sets. Trojans errors made this goal unattainable, and Atlantic lost the second set 21-12.

Against Panorama, junior Chloe Davis went 8 for 8 from behind the service line. Senior Sadie Welter claimed the lone ace.

Next, Atlantic was matched up with AHSTW. The two groups had played each other at a seperate weekend tournament a couple weeks prior. In that match Atlantic put up a W 2-1. The Trojans looked to have a repeat of that match.

The AHSTW squad came out firing on all cylinders and took the first set 21-13. In the second set, the Trojans rebounded and snatched the second set 21-14. In their second three-set match of the day, improved serving helped keep the Trojans going. Still, AHSTW got even on the Trojans 15-10. The loss of the match sent the Trojans packing as they went 1-2 on the day.

In their final match, the Trojans slated 34 digs on the stat sheet. Waters was the leader with 13 digs of her own. They also had 22 kills and five aces.

Through the eight sets played by the Trojans, they had 54 kills, 82 digs, and 11 blocks. Sophomore Alyssa Derby had the most kills on the day with 22, while Waters had 28 digs on the day. Derby and senior Taylor Hansen put up four blocks apiece.

With the win against challenging opponent CAM, the Trojans snapped an eight game losing streak. They also witnessed how much they have improved over the season.