• October 15The boys' and girls' varsity cross country teams will compete in Glenwood on Thursday at the State qualifying meet. Good luck!

• October 15Trojan football has their last game this Friday vs Red Oak. The theme is Pink Out!

Trojans Fall to Kuemper Catholic Knights

Quarterback Chase Mullenix stares downfield to try to find an open receiver.

Kayla Mauk

Kayla Mauk

Connor Church

The Trojans lost a tough game to the Kuemper Catholic Knights. The Knights were coming off of a loss against Denison, so the Trojans knew that they would be in for a tough game against the Knights. There was also better positioning for a chance at the 2-A playoffs on the line.

The Trojans got the ball to start the game but were forced to punt. Kuemper got the ball and threw for an 86-yard touchdown, gaining some momentum. The Trojans knew that they had to respond, but were forced to punt again. The Trojan defense got a stop and gave the ball back for the offense. The Trojans were forced to punt again.

Kuemper got the ball back and they drove down the field to score a touchdown, making the score 0-14. The Trojans knew that they had to respond on this drive so they drove the ball down the field and scored a touchdown to make it 7-14.

The Trojans had gained some momentum, but it was halted by another touchdown scored by Kuemper. The Trojans were forced to punt again but Kuemper regained the ball and scored a touchdown. This made the score 7-28.

Another punt from the Trojans allowed the Knights to get the ball back but they failed to pick up a fourth down conversion, which gave the Trojans a chance to put some more points on the board before halftime. However, the clock ran out before they could do so.

The second half started with three straight punts, which took time off the clock. This meant that the Trojans would have no choice but to go for it on the fourth down. They failed to get a first down on the Knights’ 26-yard line, which gave Kuemper good field position. The Knights took advantage of the field position and scored a fifth touchdown.

On the next drive, the Trojans failed to move the sticks on their fourth down. Kuemper took advantage of this, and scored another touchdown, making the scored 7-42. On Atlantic’s next drive, quarterback Chase Mullenix ran for a 13-yard touchdown. Kuemper kicked a field goal after the Trojan touchdown making the final score 14-45.

The Knights had a total of 495 yards of offense, while the Trojans had 265. Chase Mullenix led the team with 143 passing yards, one touchdown, and no interceptions. He also led the team in rushing, with 101 yards. Senior, Logan Reilly led the team with 63 receiving yards.

The Trojans look to rebound after a tough loss, as the play OABCIG this Friday, at the Trojan Bowl for homecoming. Kickoff is scheduled for 7 p.m.

About the Contributors
Connor Church, Editor

Journalism editor Connor Church (Churchy) has a few stories under his belt from his time as a journalist. His first ever published piece is titled, “AHS Finds a Lack of Student Participation in School Events,” and was written with Trey Cappel. Churchy also writes sports stories, specifically football for the fall season. “I love the game of football and I just find that writing stories comes naturally,” Churchy said. He also mentioned that he likes to interview people and “talk to the athletes around the school.” His first sports interview was with junior Bradley Dennis about track. He joined journalism because he “saw everybody else doing it” and was told by Berryhill that he could be part of the newspaper team and write sports stories.

Journalism isn’t the only thing Churchy has in mind. He is interested in going to Wartburg or Iowa State to look further into sports announcing or sticking to his roots as a sports journalist. “I’m also looking into stepping away from journalism and I would work at Gillette’s children hospital because I feel like I would want to help kids that are going through the same thing I went through and make their situation easier and help them have a better life like I’ve had so far,” Churchy said.

Churchy’s cat is on the top of his list of favorite things, and he said, “I love my cat, Stormy. I got him four years ago after my previous cat died and he’s given me a lot of joy and happiness. He does whatever his little heart desires.” You can also find him cheering on his favorite sports teams: the Packers, Twins and the Minnesota Wild.

Story by Camryn Church, Dajai Wesson and Haylie Handel

Kayla Mauk, Journalism Production Student

Atlantic High School sophomore Kayla Mauk, aka Kmauk4213, is a Journalism Production student. She has been involved in Student Council, AHS fuel, volleyball, wrestling managing, and soccer. Mauk is a member of the AHS Dance Team, and dances at Dance Atlantic.  “In my freetime, I love hanging out with my friends; especially Kylie Neal.” Mauk has a family of six including her dog, Bailey, her two older brothers, Jordan and Tanner, and her parents, Jeff and Stacey. Her favorite color is purple and the movie you would most likely find her watching is The Breakfast Club because it’s such an “inspiring movie.” Mauk wants to attend college to become a psychiatric nurse after high school. Written by Kylie Neal