• October 15The boys' and girls' varsity cross country teams will compete in Glenwood on Thursday at the State qualifying meet. Good luck!

• October 15Trojan football has their last game this Friday vs Red Oak. The theme is Pink Out!

XC Runners Cruise through Creston

With six meets under their belt, the trojan cross country teams are over halfway done with their season.

GETTING+FOCUSED-+Freshman+Addie+DeArment+uses+junior+Pluma+Pross+to+help+her+stretch+before+the+race.+Other+members+of+the+varsity+team+were+stretching+before+the+race+at+Dallas-Center+Grimes.+
GETTING FOCUSED- Freshman Addie DeArment uses junior Pluma Pross to help her stretch before the race. Other members of the varsity team were stretching before the race at Dallas-Center Grimes.

Erin Wendt

Erin Wendt

Windy weather greeted the Trojan cross country teams as they arrived in Creston for their sixth meet, marking the season over halfway done. Going to the meet the girls had been moved up in the rankings to 9th and the boys were listed on “Teams to Watch.” Head coach Dan Vargason said he expected the girls to go top three and to compete with Glenwood and Harlan, while the boys were expected to go anywhere from second to fifth to achieve their goals for the day. “I thought we had some kids who gutted it out,” Vargason said.

The girls finished as expected in third place behind #7 ranked Glenwood and #2 ranked Harlan. A strong second-place finish from Taylor McCreedy in 18:45.8 led the girls’ team. Other top-25 finishes included Karsyn Rush in 15th, Maddie Botos in 20th and Ashley Wendt in 23rd. Pluma Pross earned a 27th-place finish to complete the scoring five. The girls finished with a total of 87 points. Addie DeArment and Abby Altman finished 33rd and 35th, respectively.

I thought we had some kids who gutted it out.”

— Dan Vargason

A score of 101 put the boys in fourth place behind Lewis Central, CB Jefferson and Glenwood. In a time of 16:57.3, Jalen Petersen secured a 3rd place spot for the Trojans with Evan Brummer just 13 seconds behind in sixth place. “Seeing Evan Brummer up in that front pack, Ben Andersen, those are the ones that stuck out to me, just running really solid races,” Vargason said. Next for the boys was Bradley Dennis in 21st and finishing one right after the other was Zane Berg and Cooper Jipsen, just 0.1 seconds apart. Jipsen said this course felt faster than others he has run this season. Another consecutive finish came from Ethan Williams and Nathan Brockman in 50th and 51st.

First for the JV girls was Katie Saluk in fourth place overall in a time of 22:04.3. “I thought it went alright, I PR’d by a lot so it was pretty good,” Saluk said. Heidi Williams finished next in seventh place with Kelsie Siedlik following in 10th place. Corri Pelzer and Erin Wendt came in 17th and 18th and Halsey Bailey in 36th. As a team, the girls once again mimicked the varsity scoring and finished third behind Harlan and Glenwood.

In 16th place with a time of 20:00.1, Caleb Spurr finished as the top runner for JV boys. Isaac Altman was next in 20th, then Ben Andersen in 26th and Tyler Roenfeld right behind in 27th. Alvin Nantz and Drew Engler finished 35th and 36th and to round out the top seven JV boys was Jackson Mullin in 38th place. Vargason said, “We have kids who are improving every meet so I was glad we could have some who have been struggling to run well.” The team scored a total of 124 points to finish fifth.

The Trojans look to compete again this Saturday at Harlan.

About the Contributors
Ashley Wendt, Lead Editor

Journalism is a family affair for the Wendts, as Ashley Wendt’s siblings got her involved in Journalism. Her brother Trevor was the first to join and he was the producer of Eye of the Needle during the 2017-18 school year. Wendt’s twin sister Erin was the next to join during her sophomore year. Wendt is one of the lead editors of AHSneedle, so her job is to assign stories to the reporters and edit the stories they write. Her favorite part of journalism is “seeing the finished products” and what others can do. Her most memorable moment in journalism is when she went to a summer camp at Drake University, where she attended a web design class that she thought was “super helpful.” In her free time, Wendt enjoys going on walks with her family and riding her horses. She is also out for cross country, starting her running career in seventh grade. She said she joined because her mom ran and she “wanted to be just like her.”

Erin Wendt, Business Manager/Editor

Junior Erin Wendt is one of the two business managers for the AHS journalism department. She also occasionally writes stories for AHSneedle, and her favorite stories are the “Getting to Know the Class of 2017” articles. Wendt said she loves the “independence” of journalism and being able to choose what you do, like broadcasting or yearbook, as well as what she wants to write about. Her favorite memory in journalism so far has been participating in the Media Now camp at Drake University this past summer, where she learned a lot about writing stories as well as meeting many new people.

Wendt has been involved in cross country and soccer so far in high school and has joined FFA this year. Wendt enjoys the “atmosphere during cross country” and how everyone can relate to each other, because no matter if you’re JV or varsity, “everyone is giving their best effort.” Wendt’s favorite thing about soccer is the overall attitude of the team. She said, “Even though we don’t have winning seasons, we still make the most out of it and have fun.” She is also is looking forward to making some memorable moments in her first year of FFA.

Wendt says her twin sister Ashley knows her best, and she enjoys “chilling on the couch” on her phone, or riding horses with her mom and sister. If her friends had to describe her, they would probably say that she’s good at making cookies and the “mom’ of the group. They might also say she’s quiet because she said she doesn’t “talk a lot when we’re hanging out in groups.”

Wendt would describe herself as quiet and nice, but her sister might disagree with that at times. She also says that she goes to her room for a calming place because “I can be alone.” Something that she would never change about herself is her personality.

Profile written by: Ashley Wendt