• November 12There is an All State music festival this Thursday Friday and Saturday!

• November 12There is an FFA meeting tomorrow at 6:30 in Mr. Miller's room.

Clutch Overtime Win for the Trojans

The Trojans jog to the sideline as kickoff approaches.

Aleigh Bean

Aleigh Bean

Connor Church

The Trojans had a comeback win for the ages against the Clarinda Cardinals on Friday night. The Cardinals were coming off of a tough loss against Red Oak the week before, so the Trojans knew they would be hungry to get back into the win column.

The game started with three straight punts and the Trojans had the ball intercepted at their own 38 yard-line after Clarinda had punted the ball. The turnover gave the Cardinals great field position. The interception didn’t hurt the Trojans, however, because the Cardinals were forced to punt again.

During the second quarter, the Trojans drove the ball down the field and kicked a field goal, but it was blocked and recovered by Clarinda. This mistake by the Trojans gave the Cardinals momentum, which allowed them to drive the ball down the field and score a touchdown.

But the boys didn’t flinch. At halftime, they made their adjustments and to start the third quarter the Trojans responded by driving the ball down the field. They capped the drive off with a 1- yard touchdown run by quarterback Chase Mullenix. The extra point was then missed.

After the touchdown, they forced a fumble, which was recovered by senior Connor Pellett. The Trojans seemed to gain some confidence from the turnover and on the very next play, Chase Mullenix dropped back and threw a 47-yard dime to his brother, Collin Mullenix. The Trojans led 14-7 at this point.

The Cardinals got the ball back but had to punt and during the play, Chase Mullenix called for a fair catch but he fumbled the ball and the Cardinals recovered it. They had excellent field position at the Trojan 26 yard-line and capitalized on Trojans’ mistake. They threw for a touchdown and the game was tied.

The fourth quarter started with four straight punts but on the fourth, Zade Niklasen fumbled the ball and gave the Cardinals good field position. However, the Cardinals couldn’t capitalize with a touchdown so they had to try for a field goal but missed. That was the end of regulation, which meant overtime was needed.

The Trojans got the ball to start overtime and Chase Mullenix rushed for a 1-yard touchdown. The Trojans were up 21-14, but they had to stop the Cardinals from scoring.

The Trojans give each other a last-minute pep talk to get each other pumped up.

The Cardinals got the ball and scored a touchdown. They were on the road in a tough environment, so they decided to go for the win with a two-point conversion. The Trojans stopped the conversion at the 1-yard line to win the game. A hard-fought game ended with a 21-20 Trojan victory.

The Trojans finished the game with 367 yards on offense but had four turnovers, while Clarinda had 279 yards with two turnovers. Chase Mullenix finished with 198 yards, one touchdown, and two interceptions passing. He also rushed for 90 yards with two touchdowns. Junior Tyler Moen led the Trojans with 90 receiving yards.

The Trojans look to build off their win against the Cardinals at Harlan this upcoming Friday. Kickoff is scheduled for 7 p.m.

About the Contributors
Connor Church, Editor

Journalism editor Connor Church (Churchy) has a few stories under his belt from his time as a journalist. His first ever published piece is titled, “AHS Finds a Lack of Student Participation in School Events,” and was written with Trey Cappel. Churchy also writes sports stories, specifically football for the fall season. “I love the game of football and I just find that writing stories comes naturally,” Churchy said. He also mentioned that he likes to interview people and “talk to the athletes around the school.” His first sports interview was with junior Bradley Dennis about track. He joined journalism because he “saw everybody else doing it” and was told by Berryhill that he could be part of the newspaper team and write sports stories.

Journalism isn’t the only thing Churchy has in mind. He is interested in going to Wartburg or Iowa State to look further into sports announcing or sticking to his roots as a sports journalist. “I’m also looking into stepping away from journalism and I would work at Gillette’s children hospital because I feel like I would want to help kids that are going through the same thing I went through and make their situation easier and help them have a better life like I’ve had so far,” Churchy said.

Churchy’s cat is on the top of his list of favorite things, and he said, “I love my cat, Stormy. I got him four years ago after my previous cat died and he’s given me a lot of joy and happiness. He does whatever his little heart desires.” You can also find him cheering on his favorite sports teams: the Packers, Twins and the Minnesota Wild.

Story by Camryn Church, Dajai Wesson and Haylie Handel

Aleigh Bean, Journalism Production Student

Atlantic High School sophomore, Aleigh Bean, is a member of AHS journalism. In her freetime she does track and dance. “I enjoy running track because the team makes the running part a lot better.” Bean said. She has been in dance since she was three years old and has been in track since middle school. She joined journalism at the beginning of her sophomore year. She enjoys taking pictures the most. “My favorite sport to take pictures of is wrestling. It’s just so fun to watch and getting to take pictures of it makes it even better.” Bean said. She has two older twin siblings, Braden and Sydney who are seniors at AHS. She also has two dogs, a cat, and a rabbit. She loves to travel and is a thrill seeker. When she is older she plans on going into the medical field but is still undecided right now. Written By Madison Fell