Cross Country Competes at Glenwood

Trojan runners get a feel for the competition at their first meet.

Halsey Bailey

Head coach Dan Vargason gives helpful advice to JV runners Caleb Spurr and Alex Sampson as they compete.

Ashley Wendt, Lead Editor

As fall sports kick off their seasons, the Trojan cross country teams traveled to Glenwood on Saturday, Aug. 25 to compete against a field including eight other teams. As head coach Dan Vargason said, the meet was “a good opportunity to evaluate everything.”

Time trials were held on Tuesday, Aug. 21 to determine varsity and junior varsity runners for the Glenwood meet. Lineups are open for change, however, if a JV runner beats a varsity runner’s time in a meet.

The girls’ team includes 13 runners: seniors Halsey Bailey, Karsyn Rush, Ashley Wendt, Erin Wendt and Heidi Williams, juniors Abigail Altman, Corri Pelzer, Pluma Pross, Katie Saluk and Kelsie Siedlik, sophomores Madison Botos and Taylor McCreedy and freshman Addison DeArment.

25 runners make up the boys roster and include seniors Nathan Brockman, Brainhart Buliche, Chris Krogh, Alvin Nantz, Caine Paige, Jalen Petersen, Tyler Roenfeld and Caleb Spurr, juniors Ben Andersen, Max Bateman, Evan Brummer, Bradley Dennis, Clayton Jipsen, Zach McKay, Jackson Mullin and Aybren Sanchez, sophomores Joe Sonntag and Ethan Williams, and freshmen Isaac Altman, Zane Berg, Draven Berry, Drew Engler, Cooper Jipsen, Alex Sampson and Bryan York.

JV girls began the sequence of races on Saturday beginning at 9:30 followed by varsity girls, varsity boys and JV boys. An awards ceremony was held shortly after the conclusion of the races, where Glenwood senior runners and their parents were also introduced.

JV girls finished third with four girls placing in the top 15: DeArment (fourth), H. Williams (ninth), Pelzer (10th) and Siedlik (14th). Varsity had similar results with another third-place team finish and four girls earning a medal including McCreedy in second, Rush in eighth, A. Wendt in 13th and Botos in 15th.

On the boys’ side, JV placed fourth as a team with Bateman earning a 14th place finish as the team’s top runner. Varsity only had one top 15 finish as well with Petersen in fifth. However, teammates Dennis and Brummer were not far behind, placing 16th and 18th respectively. A fifth-place team finish was also earned.

The Glenwood meet also keeps score for co-ed team standings and the Trojans’ total points earned them a second-place standing.

Vargason said he was “happy for the people that went out and ran their best runs,” and that “it’s hard in the first meet.” Overall he felt that it went well and everybody worked hard, with many runners getting new bests and cutting time already this season.

Full results:

Varsity Girls

Varsity Boys

Junior Varsity Girls

Junior Varsity Boys