• November 14Good luck to the girls' basketball team at the Cyclone Jamboree on Thursday!

• November 12There is an All State music festival this Thursday Friday and Saturday!

Girls’ Soccer Wins at Riverside

The girls' soccer team delivers a shut-out to get their second win of the season.

The girls’ soccer team has earned their second win of the season in an away game against the Riverside Bulldogs with a score of 6-0.  This makes back-to-back wins after they beat AHSTW last Wednesday 3-2.

The Trojans had a total of 21 shots, 12 of which were on-goal. Junior Alyssa Ginther and sophomore Emma Templeton each scored twice.“The first one I got a pass from Chloe (Davis) up the sideline and I just dribbled it in and it deflected off the goalie’s hands,” Templeton said about her goals, “The second I took a shot from the 18-yard line and it went far post.” Sophomore Piper Zarbano and junior Haley Becker each had one goal, and assists went to Zarbano, Ginther and sophomore Chloe Davis. “We started this game with energy from our last win against AHSTW,” said head coach Jordan Newberg. Sophomore Corri Pelzer and the defense also delivered a shutout, and Pelzer is credited with 8 saves for the game. “We look to build on these wins the rest of the week to start a winning streak,” Newberg said.

The girls will play their next game against the Carroll Tigers this Thursday, May 17th in Carroll. They then have three more games before they open up postseason play on May 24, against West Central Valley.

About the Writers
John McConkey, JP Student

John McConkey is an AHS senior and is an editor for broadcasting in journalism this year. McConkey said, “I basically make cool videos with Chase.” His favorite project he has made in journalism was “The game show video” with 3 contestants giving them hints on a person in the high school and see if they know who they were. McConkey enjoys the most about journalism is using his ideas to make something everyone sees and enjoys.

Besides journalism, McConkey participates in football, wrestling and National Honors Society. McConkey also enjoys making people laugh, as he said he’s “Good for yuks.” Something he would never change about himself is his ability to make people laugh, and he also describes himself as determined and funny.

One thing I would never give away is “My Trojan Pride” said McConkey. McConkey looks up to Coach Duff and Coach Mcdermott, and said they are both “outstanding” individuals. “It’s a picture of me wrestling,” said McConkey about his lock screen on his phone. McConkey says his mom knows him best. He also said that his basement is a calm place he likes to go to. “Chillin with the boys and playing madden or 2k,” would be McConkey’s ideal relaxing afternoon. McConkey says one talent he would like to gain without effort would be to play a guitar “It would be a cool talent to have.”

Profile written by: Jackson Mullin and Justin Binios

Ashley Wendt, Lead Editor

Journalism is a family affair for the Wendts, as Ashley Wendt’s siblings got her involved in Journalism. Her brother Trevor was the first to join and he was the producer of Eye of the Needle during the 2017-18 school year. Wendt’s twin sister Erin was the next to join during her sophomore year. Wendt is one of the lead editors of AHSneedle, so her job is to assign stories to the reporters and edit the stories they write. Her favorite part of journalism is “seeing the finished products” and what others can do. Her most memorable moment in journalism is when she went to a summer camp at Drake University, where she attended a web design class that she thought was “super helpful.” In her free time, Wendt enjoys going on walks with her family and riding her horses. She is also out for cross country, starting her running career in seventh grade. She said she joined because her mom ran and she “wanted to be just like her.”

Story by Madison Botos and Braden Smith