Getting to Know the Class of 2018: Kylie Proehl

Senior Spotlight featuring Kylie Proehl

Grace Bruckner

After starting journalism her sophomore year, Kylie Proehl began taking pictures and really enjoyed it, leading her to make the decision to pursue a career involving journalism and photography. She plans to attend Kirkwood college for two years after high school and then transfer to the University of Iowa to major in journalism and photography.

Taking pictures at State wrestling was one of Proehl’s favorite school memories. “Just being down on the mats, front row to our boys, was my favorite part,” Proehl said. A success she is proud of is a story she wrote her sophomore year which won third place in the IHSPA contest. The story is called “Meet a Non-Running Runner.”

While in high school, Proehl was involved in many activities including volleyball, track, swimming, football and basketball cheerleading. A big moment for Proehl was being able to witness the victory of the first Homecoming football game in the last five years.”It was an amazing feeling and we couldn’t have been more proud of our boys,” Proehl said. Besides doing sports, her favorite things to do are go to Rancho, watch Netflix or drive around with friends. “My favorite place would be in Reagan’s (Pellett) Cadillac with Kayla taking nice drives,” Proehl said.

Proehl has a brother Jayden, 13, and parents Vanessa and Dan Proehl. Proehl says her brother can read her better than anyone else. “He can always tell when I have a bad day and is there with a hug. I am really going to miss that next year,” Proehl said.

Someone who has impacted her life is fellow journalist and senior, Kole Schmitt. Schmitt has been a part of Proehl’s life since preschool when he lived right next door to her. “He has made me a mentally strong individual with all the positive pick-me-ups he gives me throughout the day. It’s definitely going to be hard next year being so far away from him,” Proehl said.