• November 14Good luck to the girls' basketball team at the Cyclone Jamboree on Thursday!

• November 12There is an All State music festival this Thursday Friday and Saturday!

NEWS BRIEF — Physics Class Prepares to Race

Physics students prepare boats for a race on May 11.

Junior Yara Haidar and senior Paige Bennett work to build their boat. They were given three days in class to work on these and whatever doesn't get finished will have to be done on their own time.

The annual physics boat races will be held on Friday, May 11. Science teacher Jedd Sherman organizes the building of the boats that his physics class will use to participate in a boat race across the pond at the Nishna Golf Course. Students in the class are allotted three construction days during class-time. If the boats are not finished in those three days, then students must finish them outside of school hours as homework. There are five groups and two or three builders in each group. The only supplies the students are allowed to use are tape and cardboard. The cardboard is being provided by physics student Cambry Miller, as she was able to get it from her parents’ furniture store, Brymons. This activity is done to represent a concept known as “Archimedes Principle,” which explains how a boat would float in theory.

Brandon Woodard, Editor

Brandon Woodard is an editor for the broadcasting class. At the beginning of his junior year, Woodard decided to sign up for journalism as he thought it would be neat to learn about the behind the scenes activities. Woodard is a videographer with Alex Harper and also helps with editing. Woodard said, “My favorite part of journalism is getting to brainstorm ideas with Noah (Rutherford) because they are always funny.” In addition to journalism, Woodard is interested in the culinary arts. He has taken all of the available foods classes at AHS except for one that is no longer offered. “I can cook about anything,” he said. He likes to make fajitas from scratch, coming up with his own seasonings and mixtures. Woodard works part-time at the Atlantic Fridley Theaters and said, “It’s really easy and I get along pretty much with everyone who works there.” For his 18th birthday, Woodard got a forearm tattoo: Memento Mori. In Latin, this translates to “Remember Death,” which means everyone is mortal.

Story by Tristan Jessen and Caleb Fulk