Tuxedo Rentals Move from Howard’s to Brown’s

Brown%E2%80%99s+Shoe+Fit+recently+added+this+show+room+after+deciding+to+offer+tuxedos+for+rent.+Brown%E2%80%99s+gets+their+tuxedos+from+Skeffingtons%2C+a+company+located+in+West+Des+Moines.+In+the+month+of+January%2C+Brown%E2%80%99s+has+rented+tuxedos+to+three+people+for+an+upcoming+prom+and+two+weddings.+

Brown’s Shoe Fit recently added this show room after deciding to offer tuxedos for rent. Brown’s gets their tuxedos from Skeffington’s, a company located in West Des Moines. In the month of January, Brown’s has rented tuxedos to three people for an upcoming prom and two weddings.

Big changes are happening at Atlantic’s Brown’s Shoe fit, and with only three months until prom, it’s just in time. Tuxedos and shoes are now available to rent at 502 Chestnut for a reasonable price

Brown’s owner Brian Ruge decided to carry available-to-rent tuxes after Howard’s owner Mark Krengel retired and closed the store. “I used to actually do tuxedos at another Brown’s a few years back and when I heard that Mark was retiring, I thought why not take on the opportunity to take the sales,” Ruge said. Brown’s is using the same store to supply their products as Howards previously did, Skeffington’s Formalwear.

There are four different collections: platinum, gold, diamond and silver, each with different price points. The top three collections are gold, diamond, and silver, and are what Ruge recommends because they are the “nicest and trendiest products.” The price range is $119-149 for a week rental. The average rental price for a tuxedo is $196 according to Wedding Stats.

Dress shoes are also available to rent for $20-30, depending on the shoe and size. If students decide they want to purchase the shoe, Brown’s is having a 20% sale on the product.

There is an array of colors and styles available. “You can get grey, white, even polka dot if you really feel like it,” Ruge said. Brown’s has a special book including all the styles, along with ties and jackets available to try on. People can find actual cutouts from the vests, shirts, etc. so a customer can view the exact color and texture. Shoes also come in different colors, including white, brown and black.

Two to three weeks before prom, seniors John McConkey and Gratt Reed will be showcasing the tuxes for Atlantic High School. “When Brown’s contacted me and asked me if I could showcase, I was excited because I thought it was a great idea,” Reed said. Juniors Majerus Dulberg and Noah Rutherford plan on renting their tuxes from Brown’s as well. Other students including junior Sam Granner haven’t planned where they will be renting them from but have heard about Brown’s new sales.

Ruge recommends ordering at least two to three weeks prior to the special night due to availability and fitting. According to Ruge, if there is an error in fitting it can be fixed by the next day or possibly even the same day. Prospective customers can call and book an appointment anytime or just walk in.

In the future, Brown’s is looking to expand on prom products and “hopefully continue to sell more and more.” They are always looking for new ideas and growing as a business as a whole, Ruge said. If students want to call and set up an appointment, they can contact the store at 712-243-1336 or email them at [email protected]. Their hours are Monday-Friday 9 a.m. – 6 p.m., Thursday 9 a.m. – 7 p.m., and Saturday 9 a.m. – 5 p.m.