The Trojans Knock Off the No. 2 Glenwood Rams

The boys took down rival and no. 2 in the state the Glenwood Rams by 18 to extend their win streak to 4 games.

Senior+Austin+Alexander+shoots+a+free+throw+while+Senior+Jaxson+Eden+and+Sophomore+Tyler+Moen+look+on.+The+Trojans+lost+to+the+Rams+in+their+first+meeting+64-31.+

Senior Austin Alexander shoots a free throw while Senior Jaxson Eden and Sophomore Tyler Moen look on. The Trojans lost to the Rams in their first meeting 64-31.

Noah Bruckner, Sports Editor

Last night, Jan. 9. The Atlantic Trojans boys varsity basketball team knocked off the No. 2 team in the state, the Glenwood Rams 59-41.

The then 6-4 Trojans were coming off a 66-44 win over the Denison Monarchs and were looking to add to their 3 game win streak. Glenwood, who was number 2 in the state, was coming off of a 2 point victory over Kuemper.

The first half was a low scoring affair, a defensive game along with poor shooting on both sides. The Trojans had the lead going into halftime by a score of 22-14. The below par shooting continued into the second half especially for Glenwood. Atlantics shooting got better and was able to help maintain the lead for the rest of the game.

Senior guard Austin Alexander lead the scoring for the Trojans with 19 points. Alexander was 5 for 8 from the field and came down with 6 rebounds. With the many technical fouls called in the second half Alexander was able to go to the line for 10 free throw attempts, he finished 7 for 10 on the night. Senior post Scott Leonard made his presence known down low and recorded 14 points on the night and finished with a team leading 10 rebounds. Leonard also went a perfect 4-4 from the free throw line.

Junior Chase Mullenix finished with 11 points and Senior Grant Podhajsky recorded 10 on the night and led the team with 7 assists.

The boys will look to extend their win streak to five as they travel to Council Bluffs this Friday, Jan. 12. to go head to head with the Lewis Central Titans.