Artistic Activity to Brighten January

Zeke Whetstone displays the poster advertising STUCO’s fundraiser, Paint Your Blues Away .

Katie York

Paint the Blues Away is a fundraiser being put on by the Atlantic High School Student Council. The event is a program where an artist guides a group of people to  paint a certain picture. In the end, each person turns out with a unique work of art.

The event is going to be on Saturday, Jan. 14 at 9 a.m., at a cost of $25 which includes refreshments and all materials.

Chair of the Paint the Blues Away committee, Ashley Freund, said, “We will have drinks and snacks. We will be painting a wintery branch theme.”

Freund explained that the fundraiser is to provide scholarships to graduating seniors. She said participants in the event do “not need to bring anything except the money they need to paint which is $25. Acrylic paint, canvas, and brushes will all be provided.”

Freund said she got the idea for the fundraiser from a family friend that has done it in Missouri for many years and has had success with it.

Nancy Fredrickson of Atlantic will be leading the course.  Fredrickson has directed many classes just like this one. She has directed classes at the Country Club, Griswold Golf Course, Nishna Hills Golf Course, First Church of Christ, and at private parties.

Fredrickson said she has never directed a course like this to high school students before. “I have always loved art and when I retired I had time to do art and I just enjoyed it and wanted to share it with everyone else,” Fredrickson said. “I am just looking forward to seeing everyone’s creations.”

During the class students will be painting with acrylics. “We are painting a tree branch with red berries and snow,” Fredrickson said.  “I like the acrylics. I have a variety of different things I like to paint–anything from on a piece of wood to characters. I have done Wonder Woman. I have done the Eiffel Tower.”

Fredrickson would like students to just be creative, “Do your own thing, don’t feel like you can’t do it, feel like you can because there are no mistakes in art.”

Fredrickson reminds students that art is “all in your own eyes.” Fredrickson has always enjoyed art and the other members of her family are very artistic in different ways. “I have always liked to draw and paint and create,” she said.

ESL teacher Brielle Cerven is going to participate in the class. Cerven said, “I am excited to spend some time with some of my friends and attempt to paint and to have something that I can hopefully put up in my house.”

Cerven said she has participated in something like this in a studio one time but never at AHS. She is going to bring three friends to come paint with her. She said her favorite part will be spending time with the girls and laughing when she doesn’t really know what she is doing.