A Freshman to Look Out For: Clayton Jipsen

Jena Brosam

Since he was in seventh grade, freshman Clayton Jipsen has been competitively running in cross country, and has developed a passion for it.

As only a freshman, head coach Paul Iekel has mentioned Jipsen into being one of the most improved runners on the boys’ cross country team this 2016 season.

Jipsen practices with the team throughout the week, and then also finds himself running 3-4 times a week after practice. Now that the cross country season is over Jipsen said he will be trying to continue running three times a week until next season.

His set his personal record this year at the Shenandoah meet with a time of 19:08.

“My coach is always pushing me to do better, and improve my time by believing in me to do better than I thought I could. Which results in him being right. The team on the other hand, is always teasing me about falling behind which forces me to speed up and push harder,” said Jipsen.

On the team, Jipsen says that Nathen Brockman is his biggest competition when it comes to meets, but said, “Zachary McKay works hard to push me and compete for my varsity spot.”

“My favorite course to run would probably be Glenwood, mostly because of all of the switchbacks,” said Jipsen.

For the rest of his high school cross country career Jipsen said, “My goals are mostly to keep a varsity spot and continue to improve by times by at least one to two minutes each year, and hopefully fight for Bradley (Dennis) for the number one spot.”

Jipsen is also involved in archery, basketball, soccer, baseball, track, band, choir, show choir, student council, FFA, the musical, and all-state.

Now that the cross country season has ended, Jipsen has the offseason to improve and prepare looking ahead at 2017.