Wendt, Dennis and Shadden Run at State Cross Country

Senior Phoenix Shadden brought home a medal for his top-10 finish.

Trevor Wendt

Senior Phoenix Shadden takes off at the State meet in Fort Dodge on Saturday, Oct. 29.

Noah Bruckner

Three varsity runners from the Atlantic cross country team ran at the State meet Saturday, Oct. 29,  in Fort Dodge. Sophomore Ashley Wendt, senior Phoenix Shadden and freshman Bradley Dennis represented AHS in the season’s top competitive event.

Ashley Wendt placed 37th overall in the girls 3A division, running a 20:13.9 with a total of  seven seniors finishing ahead of her. This was her second year in cross country. Her time at Ft. Dodge was only 17 seconds behind her fastest time of the year, 19:56 at Shenandoah. Wendt’s mom Kathy Wendt ran cross country in 1979 as a sophomore for Griswold and also earned the honor to compete at State. At that time the event was held in Ames.  Kathy Wendt said it was an “awesome” feeling to see her daughter Ashley run at State and she hopes to see Ashley’s sister Erin there with her next year. Kathy Wendt’s placement in 1979 was 31st, but the event has changed in the past 37 years. Kathy Wendt ran a 2-mile course, while Ashley ran 3.1 miles. The distance changed from 2 to 2.5 miles in 2002, and changed again to a 5000-meter course last year.

Freshman Bradley Dennis placed 33rd overall with a time of 17:08. Dennis was the first Atlantic freshman to run at the State meet since Joel Otte ran in 1995. This was Dennis’ first year running cross country after playing football all throughout middle school. Coach Paul Iekel said, “Bradley was just driven to do well and that’s what I think sets him apart from other freshman in the state who run XC.”  With Dennis’s placement of 33rd, his placement will go down as one of the best placements for a freshman at the state meet ever in Atlantic. Dennis looks to improve at State for the next three years.

Phoenix Shadden displays his State XC medal.

Senior Phoenix Shadden finished his high school season as a medalist,  coming in 10th out of 132 runners.  Shadden throughout the season, at every meet placed in the top 10. He received a medal for his placement. He is undecided on where he is going to further his cross country career.  Shadden has been a leader of the XC team all season.