AHS Hosts All-State Auditions

Band and choir students audition for All-State on Oct. 22.

Charity Williams

AHS will be hosting the Southwestern Iowa All-State auditions this upcoming Saturday, Oct. 22. The students auditioning are either choir or band students. The Atlantic high school has a total of 35 band and choir students auditioning, 14 for band and 21 for choir.

The 14 students auditioning for band are the following; Katie York, Hannah Richter, Rebekah Hallman, Bryn Blanchette Morganne Cameron, Megan Behrends, Katie Darrow, Jacob Park, Caine Page, Erin Barrick, Caleb Spurr, Nadia Somers, Dylan Litty, and Miranda Chipman. Each of these students follow requirements to prepare for their auditions; a short minute solo, two a tudes to prepare and know all their major scales. Auditioning for the first time, senior Morganne Cameron who is auditioning with her bass clarinet said, “I don’t really enjoy auditioning, but I’m doing it because I enjoy playing my instrument.” Jarrod O’Donnell said, “I enjoy seeing how well students handle the pressure. Our students usually handle the pressure very well, but it’s hard to see the students who put in the hours of hard work, and don’t make it.” Last year, only three students made it, but this year, O’Donnell and the students who’re auditioning hope for more. “I just want students to have their best audition on the day of and help them realize how much of a better musician they have become because of the process they went through and it doesn’t matter if they made it,” also said O’Donnell.

Along with the band students, 21 choir members are also preparing for their own auditions. They have created three quartets, two trios, one duet and one solo. The first quartet is Anna Iekel, Max Elwood, Austeen Mwalia and Kylee Champlin. The second quartet is Anastasia Muell, Katie Darrow, Gratt Reed and Josh Mclean. The third and final quartet consists of Paige Henderson, Melanie Hart, Bradley Dennis and Clayton Jipsen. The first trio is Sarah Schorle, Avery Andersen and Aaron Rothfusz. The second trio is, Melissa Nantz, Adriana Mendez and Chris Krogh. The only duet is, Alex Pastrana and Alex Williams. The only student with a solo is Bailey Roland. Jennifer Gaesser said, “There are always a lot of unknown when it comes to auditions. There are 6 centers and 6 different judges. In my opinion, I think this year’s students are doing a great job.” Last year, only six students made it to all state, therefore every choir student auditioning has a goal of raising that number. Trying out for the third year in a row and hopefully going back to All-State for his second time, junior Aaron Rothfusz said his goal for the auditions this year is, “to at least get recalled, and have the best performance possible.”

Senior Kylee Champlin said, “I’m looking forward to waking up at four in the morning on saturday.” Sophomore Sarah Schorle said, “Our 5 a.m. breakfast is pretty great and we get a goody bag, so I’m pretty stoked about that.”

There is one thing both choir and band members have in common talking about auditioning, how they can see the improvement in everyone just from the experience they have gone through during the preparation for the All-State auditions. “Each student who goes through the process becomes a better musician.” – Jarrod O’Donnell