K-3 to Read with AHS Students

Wednesday’s celebration of Dr. Seuss’s birthday will mark Read Across America Day

Freshmen Halsey Bailey and Abigail Brown peruse the children’s books available for check-out in the Media Center.

Paige Williams

On Wednesday March 2, Atlantic High School will celebrate Read Across America, which is held annually on Dr. Seuss’s birthday. This year grades K-3 will be traveling to the high school during Seminar, so that the high schoolers can read to them. Librarian Ginger Bechtold has worked with principal Heather McKay and guidance counselor Michelle Huber to arrange the event.

Each elementary class will be sent to a different seminar. Each high school student will then be matched with a younger student to read to during that time.

On Monday and Tuesday (Feb. 29 and March 1), English classes will come to the library and pick out books to read, which Bechtold will check out to them. The students will then read those books, or the elementary students might bring their own books to read to the high schoolers.

Since it is Dr. Seuss’s birthday, many of the books will be based on him. “Thing 1” and “Thing 2” from the movie and book “Cat in the Hat” will be here to celebrate with the high schoolers and the elementary students. The Atlantic News Telegraph will be here as well, “I hope it goes well,” Bechtold said.