School Calendar for Next Year

At this month’s board meeting, the discussions included when school will start next year and the graduation rate of AHS compared to other Hawkeye 10 schools.

Turner Russell

The Atlantic School Board meeting was held Monday night. The session opened with opportunities for public comment about the school district calendar. Later in the evening, the board voted to approve a 2015-16 district calendar. This calendar would mean students would start school on the 24th of August. Teachers would begin the 20th. The last day of school will be May 24th.

Financial consultant associated with the Iowa Association of School Boards, Gary Sinclair, presented a detailed financial plan to the board. Sinclair said our district “currently has a problem with solvency.” He also said, “Last year you ended with a negative solvency.” Board Member Dennis Davis commented, “What concerns me is all the cuts we made last year.”

Atlantic High School principal Heather McKay presented graduation and dropout information comparing the Atlantic Community School District with Hawkeye 10 schools. McKay said, “I’m anticipating some strong numbers for 2014-15.” McKay also reported a “steady decline” in Atlantic’s dropout rate over the last few years. She noted there are several students who have already graduated through the CCEOC who would not have without the change in credit requirements. McKay attributes the “greatly improved” graduation rate for Atlantic to numerous “student support services,” such as study table, credit recovery programs, and improved “communication with students and parents.”

Superintendent Michael Amstein said, “Students who aren’t proficient are more likely to drop out.” He encouraged the principals to look into “how many students are continuing to be proficient after leaving” their building (the middle school.)