Saxophone Group Performs at Board Meeting

Senior+Ben+Parker+and+junior+Emily+Yager+

Senior Ben Parker and junior Emily Yager

Turner Russell

by Turner Russell

The Atlantic Community School District held a board meeting Monday night. Items on the agenda included a performance from Atlantic High School’s saxophone group, a teacher mentoring presentation, and a presentation from the Atlantic Middle School’s Building Leadership Team.

Sophomores Page Behrens, Katie Darrow, and Anna Iekel were present along with senior Ben Parker to perform a piece titled “Allegro de Concert” for the board members. These four band members make up a small saxophone group that will be performing at the solo ensemble competition at the high school on Saturday. Atlantic High School band director Jarrod O’Donnell said that performing for the board would be “good practice” for the saxophone group.

Atlantic Elementary School instructor Margo Magill presented updates on the teacher mentoring program to the board. Magill said this is Atlantic’s “13th year for the Iowa mentoring and induction program.” Magill described the program, saying teachers had “really good success and strong friendships have been created.” Magill also noted that she has seen “professional growth” in the teachers through the mentoring process. According to Magill, there are currently “five extra mentors” in the program.

The meeting ended with a brief discussion about the Building Leadership Team at Atlantic Middle School.