AHS Senior Makes Decision to Join Air Force

Haley Schweigert smiles for the camera!  Schweigert is a senior this year, and participates in band and choir. She is going to basic training at the end of this school year.

Haley Schweigert smiles for the camera! Schweigert is a senior this year, and participates in band and choir. She is going to basic training at the end of this school year.

by Jackson Wickman and Collin Baker

There are many ways you can serve your country, but when you turn 18 you can make the special choice to serve in the military. Many young people make this choice, and one of them is senior Haley Schweigert from Atlantic High School.

Schweigert is a senior in Atlantic High School this year, and has made the decision to help defend her country as part of the Air Force. Joining the Air Force can be a big decision, especially when deciding to go right out of high school. Schweigert never thought she would join the military, but has always had respect for them. “’I’ve always looked up to people in the military,” said Schweigert. She has also had a lot of family involved in the military, such as her four cousins in the Army, one grandpa in the Navy, and the other in the National Guard.

After receiving the advice from her cousin, Schweigert decided to look into it. She saw all of the appealing benefits, such as paying for college, traveling the world, and serving the red, white, and blue of your country.

A woman is dressed and ready for the day in her air force outfit. This is the basic air force non-combat uniform. As you rank up, you gain more pins and decor to show your rank and achievements.

She has already begun preparing for basic, which she will be going to directly after high school. Every Wednesday, her and other recruits go to Offutt Air Force Base in Omaha to do physical training. You would think making such a big decision would naturally be nerve-racking, but Schweigert is only “a little nervous, but mostly excited.”

There are many challenges when joining the military. Schweigert knows what she’s up against both mentally and physically. ”For some people, probably moving around a lot. And you don’t know where you are going, you could go anywhere in the world. It is physically and mentally challenging as well.”

Are you interested in serving your country as well? Go to your local recruiting center and talk about options for you. You can go into the military while being in college, and they help give financial aid.